Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Peeking in as a new "oldish" member

Hello...

Figured here is as good as any place to introduce myself...as I can't remember if I ever posted here.

I signed onto QAF about 3 years ago (according to my profile I was still in Castle Rock CO, which makes it ooh... my math is bad...4 years ago) but had left my reading lack as shortly after I guess...I was able to find a job.

Fast forward to the present and I'd moved to Denver, had a great jon for a year and a half (loved it), get laid off, move to NC due to lack of funds and currently am STILL looking two and a half years later. I don't know why I am not getting hired...sadly....

But from reading the Topic Forums it sounds like my area is a dying breed- most of my experience is as amanual tester in the Mainframe environment (COBOL, CICS, JCL)...with a 3 month stint as a Web Tester (thank you SO much DotCom Bust....). I feel so alone out here with few jobs that match my skills and no way to even gain any experience with automated test tools (save the Hiperstation I knew already), no real way of getting any training ($0.00 income will do that to you...).

Other than that, I keep busy (or try to) with learning HTML, CSS, Javascript & a little VBScript, VB and VB.NET on my own. I spend so much time on the computer I think my nephew is beginning to associate the computer with ME! (he's 2 1/2).

To close out the long post, I've enjoyed reading the various posts, especially about the future of QA/Testing and IT in the US. I REALLY hate the idea of having to change to another career. I LEFT the field of social services (case manager) as I hated it badly and was so burned out. Computers was an outlet for me and was perfect.

So...how come there aren't any forums for "Manual" testers or Mainframe testers? They all go "across the pond" (Sometimes i feel like they did....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Peeking in as a new "oldish" member

Welcome back, QADuck.

You have been out of work for 2.5 years? Yikes!

Jobs are out there, although you may need to be flexible regarding the specifics of the job, and the pay scale.

Have you considered trying contracting as a way to gain some experience? Some of the QA temp jobs you may be qualified for might not pay a lot, but it has to be more than $0. And you can add a lot to your resume with a few contracting gigs.

Perhaps it's time to get a few courses at a local college under your belt as a way to enhance your desirability as a job candidate?

Are you a member of a local QAers' group? Networking is often the most effective way to find a job.

As far as forums for manual testers, why don't you consider posting your questions in the Functional Testing, Performance Testing, or Web Testing forum s (whichever is appropriate to your question)?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Check your box for a private email...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Darrel Damon- I tried to send you a private msg but apparently I can't because I am not an established member. Pls let me know where I can sent you my reply!

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmm I can't edit my own posts!

Apologies for double posting!

Joe- Yep 2.5 years. I have quite a few contracting jobs under my belt, so consulting/contracting is not out of the realm for me. In fact I have had quite a few interviews mostly for "temp"/short term or contract jobs. Very few were for permanent positions. What drives me nuts is that they ALL say they are impressed by my resume and I don't really do anything MAJORLY wrong...its just...I don't know? either not enough experience (just about 5 years) or not the right fit (usually) or personality wise I don't fit (too laid back??? who knows). Also what worries me is the ever growing gap in employment even though I tell them I've kept myself busy with courses here and there and self learning. Just can't put my finger on why I've not been able to get ANYTHING (even a low wage job at the local Bi-Lo).

Networking...ahahhah...Oh ghad...I am the world's worst when it comes to networking. I honestly try but between not being able to get out anywhere (car is not um...registered) and my deafness (ok...hard of hearing)- it gets a little tough. I try though...I usually wind up saying something to everyone I meet- even have my sister's neighbor promising to keep an eye out...

I'm considering courses, but not sure how I'm going to work that out. I'm one of those people who like to have at least the funding lined up BEFORE I register at a school lol. But plan to look into that. Have already taken one online course for VB.NET (lots of fun)

Thanks for the welcomes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

can't offer you any advice I'm afraid but I can say Good Luck and be the first to make the Peeking Duck joke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by QADuck:
    Darrel Damon- I tried to send you a private msg but apparently I can't because I am not an established member. Pls let me know where I can sent you my reply!

thanks!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">email is on my website, which is on my profile, but to save time: darrel@darrel.damon.name

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

COBOL Lives! Just wait until year 3000 they will need you then!

Best of luck and welcome back.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

COBOL... one of my peeps!! I'm from the other side of the COBOL world (RT-11->VAX->OpenVMS), so maybe that makes us cousins?. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, I got my "break" in QA by attending a logal QA User Group. Also, since your background is in IBM, not sure if you are aware that IBM has a rather large test facility in (I'm going to butcher the spelling) Gaithesberg. Might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

Good luck!!
    Laura Scharp
    SoCalGal - Defender of end user response times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by QADuck:
    Just can't put my finger on why I've not been able to get ANYTHING (even a low wage job at the local Bi-Lo).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Hmm...

If you've been trying for 2.5 years, and haven't been able to land any job at all - low wage, contracting, whatever - then something is clearly wrong.

Have you tried asking those who interviewed you why you were rejected?

I don't know anything about the market in NC, but I have to think that minimum wage jobs are available pretty much everywhere.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast