Thread: Music At Work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Music At Work

I was out ill yesterday.. and came back to a note on my desk..

"Thanks for the I-POD! Signed .. The Thief"

Needless to say, one of my coworkers was trying to make a point [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyhow.. as he gave it to our boss, and she's not in yet.. I found myself lamenting the fact that I can't put in my earbuds, and block out the REALLY loud new sales guy who's office is just across the hall from my cube..

Do you listen to music while you work? Are you allowed to? Encouraged to?

Most everyone here seems to, at least sometimes, if not consistently. We generally use AIM for communication for that reason (avoiding calling over a cube to someone who can't hear you due to headphones [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) Just curious how it is for others.
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Music At Work

I am always listening to something be it radio or cd
    But in the end doesn't it all come down to BEER? Beer is the ultimate answer to all questions in the universe so yes the answer to your question is BEER.
    lgeisz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

People here prefer shouting their lungs out, having conversations with their speaker phone on, burping loudly, hourly group discussions to *itch about their bosses. So yes, we do encourage music. Infact, we even had a thread about music while at work on the forums here. I don't quite remember who was smart enough to start it.....hmmmm
    (I'm hiring Software Development Engineers in Test in Seattle, WA)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I work in a lab of a LOT of servers... So we have a lot of fans running.

Need the music to drown out the background noise.
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Must have music to work. Stream it or via stored medium is not relevant.

Mark M is correct about the thread on that recently. I even got a couple of good references out of it and my tastes are a bit eclectic.

IM sure helps as well. Though it fells goofy to IM the person in the cube next to me. Must be because I am in the second half of my 40's. Why I remember the old days.....
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes Music at work is must [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

I can't work without music as it helps in building concentration but i prefer light music over Rock especially Ghazals.
    RP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I couldn't work without something to drown out the noise. There are too many people in this space and it sometimes gets really loud.

My favorite is: http://www.radioio.com/radioioeclectic.php

MArk B.
    If you're a slave to your free associations, does it automatically become something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Music at work is good.

In one software house I worked in they installed this 'white noise' system to block out the sounds of people talking on the phone etc in the office. It was actually just hissing like a radio not tuned in. It drove me absolutely nuts. I kept sneaking into the server room to turn it off much to the annoyance of management. It got to the point where they said I'd get a written warning if I kept on turning it off so I turned to headphones. Can't have done my hearing much good.

Nowadays I can't listen to music as I get too many phone calls. Use of IM here in the UK seems a little far out, even back home in Ireland it was frowned upon. As far as they're aware IM is just for cyber and other unsavoury uses!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

haha. To be honest.. in nearly 10 years in technology, I can't remember a position where I *wasn't* on IMs for at least part of each day. Whether just because it was acceptable to have it running, or because it was used within the office.

The cubes walls here are about 8 feet or so tall - what IMs allow is for me not to a) yell over them, or b) attempt to talk to someone even fairly close to me when I don't have a way of knowing if they're on the phone or not.

Music wise, I think everyone here plays something at some point during the day. I almost constantly have my iPod earbuds in, which is why it bugged me so much yesterday not to have it!
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by RobJ:
    Music at work is good.

In one software house I worked in they installed this 'white noise' system to block out the sounds of people talking on the phone etc in the office. It was actually just hissing like a radio not tuned in. It drove me absolutely nuts. I kept sneaking into the server room to turn it off much to the annoyance of management. It got to the point where they said I'd get a written warning if I kept on turning it off so I turned to headphones. Can't have done my hearing much good.

Nowadays I can't listen to music as I get too many phone calls. Use of IM here in the UK seems a little far out, even back home in Ireland it was frowned upon. As far as they're aware IM is just for cyber and other unsavoury uses!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">RobJ,
    you arwe in the more traditional UK shops, I have barely been off IM for the last four years over here for work. I agree with the music though, to many phone calls to ever get through a track properly, though I have just discovered a small Sony bluetooth player that will pause when the mobile goes off so I am tempted to supplement the i-pod.
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast