Thread: A Tragic Death

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A Tragic Death

Today, we must all mourn a tragic death. A murder, really.

It seems that the need to be politically correct, and search for any reasoning behind societal problems in America today other than self-responsibility has finally claimed a life.

Today, the REAL Cookie Monster has died.

In his place will be The Politically Correct and Stupid Cookie Monster (tm). Instead of being a silly, fun character for young children to sing along with non-sensically as he croons "Now what starts with a letter "C"? Cookie starts with C! Let's think of other things that start with "C"! Uh..uh.. Who cares about other things that start with "C"!!! C IS FOR COOKIE AND THAT's GOOD
    ENOUGH FOR ME!".. He will now sing...

"Cookies are a 'sometimes food'".

Catchy tune, no?

Because in an 'effort to help combat obesity problems among children, Sesame Street is going to begin a campaign with Cookie to teach children that there are "Sometimes Foods" and "All the time" foods.

Let's keep in mind for a moment.. that Sesame Street is mostly targeted to pre-schoolers. Who should probably have parents telling them that, if, for some strange twist of fate and reason, they actually BELIEVE for a moment that it's
    ok for Humans, like Cookie Monsters, to eat ONLY COOKIES.

Today.. Cookiee passes on. Sadly. Tragically. Go download "C is for Cookie" now, before it becomes rated for having explicit lyrics. Lord knows what will be next. Maybe Mr. Snuffleupagus needs a diet and exercise program.
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: A Tragic Death

This just in.... Cookie Monster is not dead! But unfortunately, he has been... assimilated. Brainwashed to no longer love the food that has sustained him all these years.

It's...just...not...right!

Now, this is the 35th year of Sesame Street and he's been eating cookies all this time... You know, he's not overweight or anything, and if it's been working for him, why change?

What's next?
    Big Bird's going to lead a Weight Watchers group?
    Oscar the Grouch is going to clean his trash can?
    Grover's going to stop being super and go to into business?

Cable here just started PBS on demand... I hope they have OLD Sesame Street available when I have kids....
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by jgottlieb:
    What's next?
    Big Bird's going to lead a Weight Watchers group?
    Oscar the Grouch is going to clean his trash can?
    Grover's going to stop being super and go to into business?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Tofu Monster!
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

NO!!!!!
    Jordan Gottlieb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, I for one think it is about time that they explored the situation of the homeless.

I mean, seriously, Oscar the Grouch has lived in trash for my ENTIRE lifetime! When, oh when, is society going to do something about these "lost people"?
    "Not every solution was derived to address an obvious problem" - Me (quite recently indeed)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This actual sums up my attitude towards Political Correctness in general. Countless problems exist in society (just like everywhere else in the world) and what do decision makers (in this case TV execs) do? They sanitise one of the most clean programmes on TV.

Give me a break!

To the outsider it seems that the statement is, "We know that there is a horrible problem and we are NOT going to do anything to help. But we ARE going to make sure that they aren't made to feel embarrased about their suffering."
    "Not every solution was derived to address an obvious problem" - Me (quite recently indeed)

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Apparently someone has created a non-gender bible (not that I care much for the existing one)... some of the passages must have an odd ring to them.

If there is a valid reason for being PC I will accept it, but the cookie monster ?

Next they will be sueing Sesame St for creating childhood abeasity, vampirism, the Bert and Ernie thing ...... then next on to the Telly Tubby's.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I heard on the radio this morning that the world is going stark staring bonkers on this.

People are concerned that children will see eating the body of Christ as christians advocating cannabilism; the Holy Ghost is to be renamed the Holy Spirit because "Ghost" has the implication that it is scary; red wine is not be used in church because it advocates alcoholism.

Not being a practising religious person myself does make my views somewhat irrelevant, I guess, but this does seem to be taking Political Correctness to ridiculous extremes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't see this as a move toward political correctness. I understand Sesame Street wanting to address childhood obesity (enough parents aren't, that's for sure), but this is over the top.
    Jordan Gottlieb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I guess what bothers me about it is this whole.. movement (? lack of a better term here), in the US especially, away from any level of personal, familial, or societal responsibility. People look for scapegoats in music, movies, television, and those darned people at McDonald's who made hot coffee that they didn't have to plaster with CAUTION HOT!!! for the idiot who didn't assume it would be.

Childhood obesity is a problem - but it's not the responsibility of McDonald's for having happy meals, sesame street for having a blue monster who eats cookies, or some CD somewhere.

Outside that, as Jordan mentions - some shows try to make statements, or to address issues. Fine. But again.. a blue monster who eats cookies doesn't have to be the first step.

It's not so much political correctness as the constant idiot-proofing of America that bugs me, I spose.

erm.. rant off. I shoulda slept more last night ;p
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast