Thread: New Software..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

New Software..

It might just be the English major in me who finds this so offensive, in spite of the techie in me..

http://tinyurl.com/4qq3k

(love tinyurl.com btw.. free site that'll transfer a long, stupid URL into a nice lil one.I'm sure there's some hacker somewhere using it for something bad, but for me, it's just convenient =)

The idea that any program would truly have the ability to grade an essay is just obnoxious to me - though the existence of such programs would explain why the SAT was finally willing to have a written portion to their test. Nevermind that I find it obnoxious that having a lack of the correct 'buzzwords' causes the program to grade something more poorly.

I may be completely old-fashioned, but I just find even the idea of something like this stunning.
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: New Software..

Reminds of that scene from the Dead Poets Society:

Neil Perry reads:
    Understanding Poetry," by Dr. J. Evans Pritchard, Ph.D. "To fully understand poetry, we must first be fluent with its meter, rhyme and figures of speech, then ask two questions: One, how artfully has the objective of the poem been rendered and two, How important is that objective? Question 1 rates the poem's perfection; question 2 rates its importance. And once these questions have been answered, determining the poem's greatness becomes a relatively simple matter. If the poem's score for perfection is plotted on the horizontal of a graph and its importance is plotted on the vertical, then calculating the total area of the poem yields the measure of its greatness. A sonnet by Byron might score high on the vertical but only average on the horizontal. A Shakespearean sonnet, on the other hand, would score high both horizontally and vertically, yielding a massive total area, thereby revealing the poem to be truly great. As you proceed through the poetry in this book, practice this rating method. As your ability to evaluate poems in this matter grows, so will, so will your enjoyment and understanding of poetry."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Interesting opinion.. I disagree with it on a lot of levels, but at least see what his point is.

I don't know.. I just think it pushes people into writing what they think is 'expected' - something filled with buzzwords and particular thoughts, rather than thinking for themselves and being creative - which is possible even in an academic mindframe. If great thinkers were constantly writing only what was expected, based on existing buzzwords and theories, we'd stagnate horribly.

That and the fact that I think there should be some sort of limit to the things we allow computers to do for us.. and I think that's one of those things that crosses those lines. Again, I'm probably quite biased on this particular subject ;p
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I probably should have included the line that follows the quote above. The hero of the movie (John Keating), listening, then replies "Excrement. That's what I think of Mr. J. Evans Pritchard.".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

haha. Nice. I'd probably agree with that wholeheartedly!
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If computers can grade essays, they can also write essays, thereby eliminating the need to teach essay writing to students.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

(sigh)

Sometimes I just hate technology when it's used like this.

If this were viewed as an aid to students, I could see some use, but I really don't want to delegate the grading of papers to a program (any more than I like it when full professors delegate this task to grad assistants).

Here's a sort-of-related article:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._grammar28.asp

It makes me wonder...
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well Joe,

Some of the examples produced by the professor to illustrate the weakness of MS Word seem to have a semblance of English at their root, just like a good number of postings to this forum. I bet that 75%+ of the queries would go unanswered if there was an insistence that the query be in English as defined by the good professor. I know that I have had to guess from time to time as to what people are actually asking about. To assume software can properly deduct the intended meanining and then also correct the syntax is a little bit much. The task of teaching students English is one that the professor is hired for. The task of assisting the user of MS-Word in catching potential errors is a much less sophisticated one, not intended to be a replacement of the professor. In terms of what we normally test for, that would be akin to saying a program was flawed because it did not accept the inputs properly. Sure, all the required inputs were there, just not in the correct input fields, but a good programmer would have taken care of that (wouldn't he?).
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QAGirl

Academia is already there, I found the easiest way to get through a course is to question noting and just regurgitate the lecture's pet areas and views. Might aswell get a computer to replicate the various lecturer's pathetic academic ego, shouldn't be that hard. :->
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Joe Strazzere

As people are downloading essays from the Internet, this kind of technology could also pick up pattern matching cross comparing back to already submitted essays to see who is copying and plagiarizing. I assume they already do such ?
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast