Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"Non-traditional" training/background

I'm curious, is there something in your background that has helped your career that might be considered "non-traditional"?

I was just looking at a thread that included a lengthy discussion of a couple Latin terms. I've always considered my Latin background as being very helpful in my development/QA career. It gave me an appreciation of structure, diction, and style; it trained me to look not just at what was written, but what was being said.

Anyone have anything else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: "Non-traditional" training/background

Originally posted by lemboja:
    I'm curious, is there something in your background that has helped your career that might be considered "non-traditional"?

I was just looking at a thread that included a lengthy discussion of a couple Latin terms. I've always considered my Latin background as being very helpful in my development/QA career. It gave me an appreciation of structure, diction, and style; it trained me to look not just at what was written, but what was being said.

Anyone have anything else?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">My background in the Army and Air Force (as engineer AND officer) helped me a lot: willingness to assume responsibilities, ability to work under stress conditions, perseverance,...
    and some other gained habits didn't: telling what I think, and thinking what I tell, no matter whom I speaking to,...
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Would spending 2 years helping a friend attempt to grow a farm fence building company count as non-traditional?

Let's see, I lost weight, was in the best shape of my adult life, got to watch nature in action from the top of a big tractor, sat face-to-face with a buffalo, and nearly went bankrupt.

There is very real engineering process to properly and SAFELY building something that high stress contained within it - a mistake could be very deadly due to the forces involved. This is where I developed a true appreciation for process.

And we never had a written procedure!
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree Lemboja - I took Latin for 4 years and found it to be very beneficial especially when trying to learn other languages.

My background is in Accounting which has been very beneficial in the QA world, standards, procedures and disciplines are followed similar to that in the QA World.
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am curious.... what is a traditional background ?

Most people I work with have a variety of back grounds.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Coming from the school of life has helped my career no end..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would expect that pretty much everyone could find something that they considered unusual in their background, which they feel helps them.

Let's see. Just before getting into QA I owned a fast food restaurant. That helped me uhm... let's see... er... "know how important quality is relative to quantity". Ugh. How about "learn how to meet customer's expectations in a multi-tasking environment"? Aargh. Let's try "honed my communication skills".

I don't know. I guess each of us brings the entirety of our experience to our jobs. If you always try to learn, and know how to apply what you have learned, then everything can help your career.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by rtehve:
    I am curious.... what is a traditional background ?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I've seen plenty of threads discussing what people expect to see on resumes, what questions to ask in interviews -- those, to me, are indicators of the "traditional" background.

But what other seemingly unrelated "things" are people glad they know, or do, that helps them in QA?

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

lemboja

One of the best testers I have employed had a professional musical background. Another guy I worked with was a English Major. Another girl I currently work with has a call centre background. Another tester I know is an accountant by qualification.

Which one of these would you class as having a "tradional background" ? Of all of the testers I have come across I have not really noted any form of dominant background.

Others I know (off the top of my head):
    Personal Assistant
    Civil Engineer
    Chef
    Pilot
    Electrical Engineer (me + few others)
    Computing Graduates (a few)
    Bank Teller

As far as I can tell testers seem to have a variety of backgrounds from a variety of industries. Many learn about software development on the job.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Joe Strazzere:
    I guess each of us brings the entirety of our experience to our jobs. If you always try to learn, and know how to apply what you have learned, then everything can help your career.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">+ the hardwork - and you can carry urself a long way [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well I have a degree in Petrochemical Engineering [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] - and no I dont regret abt it.

Cheers!
    Aatish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast