Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Future of IT companies?

(bit of a broad subject but anyway...)

I'm curious to know peoples opinions of the future for IT i.e. companies whose core function is IT related like s/w, h/w etc...

Maybe this is a geographical issue but my impression is the best places to work would be in the IT dept of a non-IT company. The way I look at it is companies like those in the financial & insurance sectors will always make money whereas is debatable if many IT companies will ever be profitable.

Any thoughts from people working in different areas?

btw i work in s/w product/project house.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Future of IT companies?

From Slashdot comes this Chicago Tribune article (free registration).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    Coming soon: Plenty of jobs
    Despite today's grim talk of `jobless recovery,' experts say several signs point to an upcoming shortage of talent in the workplace--and a bright future for job seekers.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I can't profess to be very knowledgeable about this but if what I learned in my Systems Analysis course is correct, than many non-IT companies are more often going for COTS solutions rather than those developed in-house. If that is the trend, then there is a future for s/w companies dealing with corporate solutions. And the IT departments of the non-IT companies, I would assume, would be diminishing (though there would still be a need for administrators, analysts and testers when implementing COTS solutions).
    The IT companies I would be wary of are those that offer no product (most of these are gone thanks to the dot.bomb) or offer free products (though this is sometimes how you start; M$ distributed MS-DOS for free to begin with so probably not a bad business model).

------------------
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have been in the software/computer field for about 40 years (30 of that in software systems). Although I currently work in an IT Department of a non-IT company, I sure don't see IT companies going away. Most of my career was with a Defense Systems Company. As far as which kind of a company I would rather work for, I liked the Defense Systems work better than what I do now. As far as which kind of work is best, this depends upon what a person wants and likes to do. Most non-IT companies are not into "state-of-the-art development. Although some development does go on, most of the IT work is built around mods to Off the shelf systems and trouble shooting. Many times the environment in a non-IT company is not as rushed as in a high tech IT company, but even in non IT companies you have high level management establishing schedules/dates before anyone knows what the total job is.

As far as the future of IT companies I think the field will expand. Although many processes are automated now, there will be more in the future. After 40 years we should be "doing it right the first time", but we are still making too many mistakes. There are tons of software processes out there that are commonly used in many applications, but they are re-created everytime they are used. Bad part is that we testers have to keep finding the problems and retesting the processes. I guess I shouldn't complain, it keeps us working.

------------------
    Larry Schneller
    IT QCC

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Drone73

Not that I understand the nature of world wide IT industries, but I guess what you will see over the 5-10 years is a bit more of an organic growth in IT markets. What the Dot.Com boom demonstrated was something I believed all along, and that is society is not really ready for what the Techincal/IT world can offer. People still worship paper and visit stores. Personally I make valued judgements about technology on whether I use it or not. I like the internet for banking and for buying non-essential stuff, but I still do the grocery shopping on foot (it costs about $10 to get your shopping delivered via the net).

Recently one of our carriers is introdcing GSM3 which now has the bandwidth to support Video Phoning via a mobile.....Why ? Personally I can't see the value in it when you can do it through the net anyway and video phoning will be changed at about 3x the standard rates. This company has invested 3 Billion $Aus in the GSM3 network, with the Australian economy being probably about the size of texas. I doubt they will re-coup this outlay.

------------------
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com