Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

About Topics: questions, answers, follow-up,...

Hi everybody,

How do you think a 'good' topic should look like?
    I have choosed an example (just because I think it's a good example). You can take a look at:
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum46/HTML/000367.html

What I want to point out?
    - First it seems to have an explicit question, it's posted in the right forum, the originator received some answers, he/she read them, replied for every answer he/she have received, ... and wrote a follow-up with the current situation.

Do you think it's a good example?
    If not, how should look a 'good' topic ?

------------------
    Nobody's perfect.
    ... Not even me.
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: About Topics: questions, answers, follow-up,...

With hundreds of topics a day in the various forums and 80%+ of them being pretty good and the answers to the questions being pretty good, why point out this one?
    It seems to be an average post, where I agree with some of the responses, and disagree or feel some are not precise enough.
    Nothing special here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rotamotua, I think Daniel was simply using this one as an example, not asking for an award or honorable mention.

Daniel, putting my own subjectivity to the test of what a good subject might be. When I'm in a hurry or if I'm at work, I pop to the 'Today's Topics' link and browse the list of links and choose the one or two topics that interest me or pique my curiousity. Seeing a topic named "Automated Testing" in the Automated Testing forum is ignored.

In posting, I like white space between paragraphs, formatting (bullets, bold & italics) and when quoting is used, I prefer to see only the portion of the the note that applies to the replies.

Is that what you were looking for?

------------------
    -- Jean

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    Margaret Mead
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rotamotua:
    With hundreds of topics a day in the various forums and 80%+ of them being pretty good and the answers to the questions being pretty good, why point out this one?
    It seems to be an average post, where I agree with some of the responses, and disagree or feel some are not precise enough.
    Nothing special here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rotamotua,
    Exactly that's my point. Nothing special.
    I don't think anybody expect some exceptional questions or answers every day, in every post, but I would expect some basic rules to be followed for every post, in the benefit of all users.

Unfortunately, there are hundreds of posts whith subjects telling nothing, or which should be in a different forum.

some recent examples:

General discussion forum:

Business Requirement
    Looking for some Definitions
    Configuration Testing
    new in QA. software questions

Functional testing forum:

Testing Information
    testing
    New to testing
    how to test software

Also, a lot of topics, where more clarification are requested, in order to respond properly on the subject, but the originator doesn't care to provide them.

I don't believe this place would be perfect, but certainly it could be improved.

So,Rotamotua, I've used your post as an (positive) example, just because there is nothing special about it.
    About your opinion, that 80% of post are 'good', in term of subject, question, follow up, replies,... I think you're optimist, and anyway 20% of 'not good' topics mean that there is room for improvement.

Also, I thought that others could provide opinions/advices about how a post should be, in order to get more atention (replies),...

------------------
    Nobody's perfect.
    ... Not even me.
    Don't worry, be Happy!