Thread: QA Heroes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA Heroes

Certainly Glenford Myers. This was a book I read before I got into testing, and my first exposure to testing as a distinct activity. I've had the book so long, I don't remember when I got it.

Also James Bach. I find his writings among the most practical I have read. I don't know if he's my "hero", but I find myself referring to his writings far more than most.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerjATaolDOTcom)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The book having the most impact was Testing Computer Software (i'm sure you're familiar with this). My 2nd favourite was Code Complete mostly because it is not just test related. I have read many other books as well, however those two provided much of the foundation for my work in the area of testing software. For everything else I would point to a number of different managers & co-workers (including developers)who taught or somehow affected the manner in which I approach testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Agree with you on James Bach, there, Joe. And for me, sigh, it probably is hero worship. My ultimate goal would be tow work for him (without the green card or the ability to move to Virginia, that's going to be pretty hard!). Pretty geeky of me, I know.

The two people to whom I find myself referring others on the forum are James and Karl Weigers. I find both provide excellent, real world advice and solutions, rather than simple textbook answers.

I find most of the featured contributers at stickyminds to be excellent sources as well. Johanna Rothman and Elisabeth (last name?) come to mind.

------------------
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I Don't have any heroes per say, but I do pay a lot of attention to anything that James Bach and Elfriede Dustin have to say.

In the past I was more of a Bill Perry, Randall Rice, and Daniel Mosley fan.

I've also in the last few months taken a great interest in the articles and books by Linda Hayes, Ed Kit and Hans Bulwalda. I think these guys are onto something big with their own versions of the Keyword/Action/Event driven approaches to testing.

Plummi - I think it's Elizabeth Hendrickson you are talking about?

------------------
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ljeanwilkin:
    I find I often read just as critically as I test.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would certainly hope so. If more people did this, I think we would see less of the garbage that passes for "thought" nowadays. Reading critically is just another way of thinking critically and, as such, should be something that anyone and everyone does.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>In order respect someone's work, I have to recognize what they are saying is true, unique (not a rehash of someone's else's work), and see some innovative suggestions for handling problems I experience every day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say that for me is not recognizing what they say is "true" but rather that it has relevance to me. Some things may not be "true" in some categorical sense in that they are situational concepts that are more or less practical, depending upon the situation in which they are employed. I do agree, however, about practical writing for handling situations that are encountered on a day-to-day level. I also like those authors who push the envelope a little by showing new techniques or concepts that do not have much support yet but that, again, have relevance to me in terms of practical applicability.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>I was curious as to other people in the field; have you had any QA/QC "heroes"? Books/people that influenced your work in a major way?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of the books that have influenced my Quality Assurance and/or Testing tasks are not books in the "QA/QC" genre at all. I have learned my best from reading the works of others in other fields and then applying those general thought processes to my work in QA. (I think of the works of Thomas Kuhn, Karl Popper, Alan Turing, Kurt Godel, Immanuel Kant, Joseph Campbell, John Seely Brown, Paul Duguid, and Dietrich Dorner, to name just a few.) In the QA and/or testing world, like others here, I like much of James Bach's work. I also have been greatly influenced by the writings of Tom Gilb, W. Edwards Deming, Joseph Juran, and Philip Crosby. Larry English is another that has changed a lot of how I think, particularly about information quality.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So it's true that some testers have actually read a book about testing :-). Thought that was a rumor.

I am striving to see my name added to the lists of appreciated authors in this field, as I have a few books on testing in progress. (Writing multiple books in parallel is a special form of insanity.)

I have quite a few reviewers involved already, usually 20 - 30 per chapter, including several of the authors mentioned on your lists. So I am not hurting for lack of good reviewers.

There's always room for one more though, esp. a person who reads as critically as he or she tests.

If you are interested, let me know.

Ross rcollard@attglobal.net

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA Heroes

I don't know about the rest of you, but I read a ton of books about our field. I find I often read just as critically as I test. In order respect someone's work, I have to recognize what they are saying is true, unique (not a rehash of someone's else's work), and see some innovative suggestions for handling problems I experience every day. I was curious as to other people in the field; have you had any QA/QC "heroes"? Books/people that influenced your work in a major way?

I've had a few; Glenford Myers "The Art of Software Testing" was my very first QA/QC book and got me started in this field. And I read everything by Cem Kaner I can get my hands on. What about you?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Though not a common name like many of the rest here, I have a great respect for Alberto Savoia. He has articles and papers, not books, but as far as I can tell, he is the most public thought leader in the flavor of Performance Testing/Engineering that I try to practice. Everything that I apply on projects, and all of the articles I write are based on the concepts I learned by searching out his articles. and papers.

If he doesn't write a book soon, maybe I will - I wonder if I could get him to review it...

------------------
    Scott Barber, Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hehehe..

The very first person to impact me in any way in testing was Boris Beizer. LOL Anyone frequent comp.software.testing about.. oh.. six or so years ago? I wonder if that's out of the archives yet...

I would say that I learned the best lesson of my career from him, and it was mostly from not knowing any better - Question Everything, no matter who says it, and how esteemed they are by anyone. Critical thinking, and questioning the things that go on around us, and in our careers is how we can grow and learn, I think. So.. what Jeff said.

As for books, of course some of us read them, Ross.. why else would people write them? And I'd have to say that more than one at a time does make you certifiable - or at least a little off

I think the first book on testing I ever got was Automated Software Testing by Elfriede Dustin. I think Cem Kaner is updating Testing Computer Software (maybe? I know I heard that somewhere), and I'll be getting that one on release for sure.

Like several others, I read and re-read James' work most of all. When I first started to read some of his stuff, and the things at www.contextdriventesting.com (Bach, Kaner and Pettichord, among others), more than I ever had, I found myself nodding and saying YES! That's IT!

I suspect Plummi meant Elisabeth Hendrickson, too, Cork.. and I'd agree about her and Johanna. Linda Hayes I've never seen speak, but she demo-ed her product via a conference call, and I'd agree that it is definitely an interesting approach, in the right environment.

Hmm.. who else? I gain a LOT of food for thought even just lurking in Jerry Weinberg's SHAPE forum (www.geraldmweinberg.com - not free, but absolutely worth the cost of subscription. You'll find many of the people mentioned in this thread contribute there regularly) And actually, from first to last - Jerry's "Exploring Requirements: Quality Before Design" was my most recent acquisition - but mostly because I've not been able to find Elfriede's new book offline to check out.

------------------
    To affect the quality of the day; that is the highest of arts qagirl@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by QAGirl (edited 03-19-2003).]
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My prior comment about reading books was meant in (dubious) humor.

But seriously, it is amazing (at least to me) how many testers have never read a book on the subject. I'd say the number is 75% or more. The number of testers who have not heard of Myers, Beizer, Kaner, Bach, Marick, Splaine, Dustin or Graham is probably over 50%.

Ross

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast