Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Food for Thought

We did survive.... If you lived as a child in the 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's how did you survive? Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have...

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention hitchhiking to town as a young kid!)

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable.

We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt.We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame, but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda but we were never overweight... we were always outside playing.

We shared a grape soda with four friends, from one bottle and no one died from this.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, video games at all, 99 channels on cable,video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers,
    Internet chat rooms ... we had friends. We went outside and found them.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Imagine such a thing. Without asking a parent! By ourselves!

Out there in the cold cruel world! Without a
    guardian. How did we do it?

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put
    out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't, had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law, imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best
    risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years has been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal
    with it all. And you're one of them.

Congratulations!

------------------
    To affect the quality of the day; that is the highest of arts qagirl@optonline.net
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Food for Thought

You left one out. We did not have many many lawyers looking out for our well being.

------------------
    Larry Schneller
    IT QCC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QAGirl:

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law, imagine that!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lord - all of these brings back so many great memories, even being in school in Ireland in the 70's where my knuckles were black and blue from getting a beating with the side of ruler by my teacher or being lifted up by my sideburns and shaken for doing something wrong. My parents would always side with the teacher, but you know what looking back it taught me respect and to take responsility for my actions. I miss being able to leave my front door unlocked, car door unlocked, my parents used to tell us 'go out and play with the traffic' which meant get out and get some fresh air, they knew when we went out we were safe and we'd be home for dinner. These days I need to know where my kids are at all times, the world has changed so much in 20 years.

------------------
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ah, I wonder if this is a sign of old age approaching, QAGirl?

I remember my Grandfather saying similar things to me when I was growing up in the '60s - the world is a more dangerous place, there is more crime, people aren't as nice, etc, etc. (And, this was a man who had been through two world wars).

Maybe we have rose tinted glasses as we get older and remember only the good things from the past, or don't remember the bad things were so bad?

Society changes, some things for the better, some things for the worse. I find it difficult to take a view as to whether, overall, it is better now or worse, I only know it is different.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QAGirl:
    We did survive.... If you lived as a child in the 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's how did you survive? Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have...

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    People were still doing this in the 80s. I've ridden in the bed of a pickup truck...on the highway...going at least 65mph...with no belts or any sort of restraining device. I think that's a criminal offense in Texas now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Maybe they did away with lead-based paint in the late 1970s....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention hitchhiking to town as a young kid!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hehehe...I never hitchhiked as a child, but my parents' house was definitely NOT childproof. I remember a few visits to the doctor after my brother and I ate an entire bottle of Flintstone's chewables between us.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>But it was yummy from the garden hose!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    We didn't have go-carts...Dallas doesn't really have hills. We had bicycles and skateboards and I fell off both many times and bear the scars. My brother and I also had a very rickety treehouse (it was there when my parents bought the house in 1977) with lots of patches of soft wood. Once I stepped on a piece of rotten wood and fell right through, slicing my leg open on a rusty nail as I fell. I was 8. I lived!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I know....I remember doing that in the early and mid-1980s with my younger brother and my friends. The park where we used to play had a drive-by in 1993 where three people were killed. Kids don't play there anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt.We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame, but us. Remember accidents?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yeah...I remember them! I was once hit by a car when I was riding my bike. It wasn't serious; the car wasn't going that fast and the wheel didn't roll over me. The driver picked me up, dusted me off, checked me for broken bones, took me to my front door and told my mother what happened. I didn't even see a doctor, but I got a firm scolding from my mother for not looking where I was going!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That kind of thing didn't happen that often when I was little; parents were getting a little irate about their kids coming home with black eyes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda but we were never overweight... we were always outside playing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sure...but not in the monster-sized portions kids nowadays eat. How often did you eat at McDonald's? We ate there maybe 6-7 times a YEAR through the late 70s and early 80s. Some kids eat there 6-7 times a WEEK these days!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We shared a grape soda with four friends, from one bottle and no one died from this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    haha...not only that, but when one of us had chicken pox, all the moms in the neighborhood sent their kids over to play with us so they'd all get it too! Don't they have a vaccination for that now?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, video games at all, 99 channels on cable,video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers,
    Internet chat rooms ... we had friends. We went outside and found them.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Growing up in the 80s, we had a TI computer that had games on it like "Hunt the Wumpus" and "T.I. Invaders." We LOVED those. We got cable in 1982 when I was 7 years old, but I don't recall ever having 99+ channels until I got digital cable in 1999. We got a VCR in 1983 and rented a movie a week; it was our Friday night treat. :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    We were allowed to do that only if we didn't have to cross a major road. Because of Dallas' weird districting, a lot of my school friends lived across town, so my mom had to drive me to their house.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put
    out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Ew. I never ate worms, though I used to catch snakes and horny toads and bring them home with me. I also still have scars on my hands from the multiple snake bites I got as a kid, plus one on my shoulder from a spider.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't, had to learn to deal with disappointment.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You had Little League?? No way! We didn't! We had club soccer and anyone who wanted to play could play, but the kids who weren't very good spent a lot of time on the bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Maybe not in the 40s-70s, but in the 80s it was a different story. There was a kid in my third grade class who should have been held back. (I started third grade in 1983.) He wasn't held back; he was promoted with the rest of us, even though he couldn't read...and from what I hear, still can't.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law, imagine that!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I never got the chance to put that to the test...I never got in trouble with the law when I was a kid. :-)

[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, I feel special, at least I had Pong... . Mom got me a little 13 inch TV from a Pawn Shop so I wouldn't ruin her huge console with the gold velvet covering the speakers...

You left out being a "latch key kid" too. These days a parent could lose their children for doing what our parents did. I always had a neighbor to go to if I needed anything, but was mostly alone with my younger brother and sister. I believe it was the fear of Mom and her Italian temper that kept me from doing anything too stupid. Sure, it was a drag having to haul them around with me, but it didn't kill me.

We lived in Jacksonville Beach for 3 years, 4 blocks from the beach and I was on the Boardwalk and beach ALL day every day when not in school. Running with my dog, fishing, trading aluminum cans for rides on the "Octopus". That's also when I remember things starting to change. Someone found a razorblade in an apple at Halloween my last year there, 1975, and it was downhill from there...

And the paper route. Getting that little card that allowed me to be on the street as early as 4:30 in the morning, neato. Sundays were a real pain though, ouch. Getting tips on Collection Day and blowing them on Coke and Pinball at the 7-Eleven, ahhh, made it worth it. Collecting glass bottles and turning them in at the A&P, boy, they used to hate to see me coming... Mowing lawns was another big source of income until I blew up my Dad's lawnmower, yikes. I can't pay any kids in my neighborhood enough to mow my lawn now and my newspaper comes from a guy in a truck with several hundred others, sigh.

Wow, how did I survive? I have absolutely no idea, but I can say "Man, was it fun..."

Okay, I feel really old now .

------------------
    Cat

If you break it; they will come.
    Cat

If you break it; they will come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

First, for the record, I didn't write this, I was just amused by it

Peter! old?? *sniffle* final birthday that I recognize will be this year

Tis not so much about saying the world is better or worse now, but in making fun of some of the things that concern people, or certain parts of the world or life as a child that are odd/strange/different.

When I grew up in Colorado, we'd spend afternoons running around by a creek and wading and playing - that same creek is now fenced off in most of my hometown city to 'protect children'.. odd, no one was ever seriously injured there when I was a child..

The only part that rings any sort of area where I think there are problems today is in the coddling that sometimes occurs surrounding sports and schooling and the like. Seems to be such a concern about hurting kids' feelings that we forget that not always getting what we want and dealing with disappointment is part of dealing with life too. I volunteered on a league last summer. It was not only a league where no one could be excluded (ie, everyone got 'picked'), which I have less issue with, but it was mandated that every player on the team play the same amount of time per game (it was based on innings), so that none of the less-skilled players felt left out.. LOL I just found it to be a bit much

qanerd.. we agree on something.. water has ALWAYS tasted best out of a garden hose on a hot summer day

CS - yes, I suspect there is much my parents did or allowed as my sisters and I grew up that would be 'frowned upon' today LOL.. From my 2nd grade on, we were all home alone together.. I, for one, loved it. If I couldn't make my big sisters scream and cry being a holy terror, the day was wasted

------------------
    To affect the quality of the day; that is the highest of arts qagirl@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by QAGirl (edited 03-19-2003).]
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I remember, meeting my friends at the corner, with our plastic guns (they looke real), dressed in camouflage or dark green or brown or black, with a pocket knife! A 10 year old terrorist!

We'd head off into the woods, which were across a 3 lane, 35 mph heavily travelled road. Jump the guard rail, slide down a 15 foot hill, down to the side of the creek. We'd split into teams, and each head in opposite directions down the creek. There were a couple of bridges across the creak. They were actually fallen trees that went from bank to bank, about a foot wide, twisting and arching about 6 feet above the slippery rock filled creek. We'd play war games all day long. Eat whatever rations we picked up on the way out of our house when we got hungry.

I remember when one of my friends got a nintendo. We all gathered around and play Super Mario Bros. For about an hour, taking turns. Then we got bored and headed back outside to play in the woods. So many memories. And I feel sad that my children will not have the same kind of memories I have.

------------------
    Steve_Jones@SoftHome.net
    Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yup, times were good back then.
    Not like these days.

[This message has been edited by Joe Strazzere (edited 03-20-2003).]

Ditto.

[This message has been edited by Joe Strazzere's dad (edited 03-20-2003).]

Ditto.

[This message has been edited by Joe Strazzere's dad's dad (edited 03-20-2003).]

Somehow, I'm guessing my kids will be saying the same thing in a few years.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerjATaolDOTcom)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Jones:
    I remember, meeting my friends at the corner, with our plastic guns (they looke real), dressed in camouflage or dark green or brown or black, with a pocket knife! A 10 year old terrorist!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man, how could I have forgotten BB guns! My brother had a BB rifle and I had a BB pistol. We carried them all over the neighborhood, shooting empty Coke cans and stuff. I remember once I shot a plum out of someone's tree, then ate it after picking the BB out of it. Just think of what would happen NOW if kids did that...and this wasn't that long ago. I got my pistol when I was 9 years old...in 1984.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast