Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A change for the better???

Have just been speaking with a testing consultancy sales manager friend in London village and he has told me that his company have reported their best ever Jan and Feb....Does this mean that:

Things are improving in the marketplace or more companies are going down the consultancy road?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: A change for the better???

I vote for the latter.

"or more companies are going down the consultancy road? "

------------------
    JRica, CSTE
    Senior SQA Analyst
    JRicardo
    Senior SQA Analyst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would say the marketplace has stabalized and is SLOWLY improving. Not "best Jan/feb ever" improving, but rather "Jan/feb look a little better than Nov/dec and a little better than jan/feb did last year".

------------------
    Scott Barber, Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PD40:
    Have just been speaking with a testing consultancy sales manager friend in London village and he has told me that his company have reported their best ever Jan and Feb....Does this mean that:

Things are improving in the marketplace or more companies are going down the consultancy road?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure which country you're talking about, but I can tell you how things are going here in Old Blighty.

Yesterday, my former employer announced that they were cutting dividends and that the company is in "trouble." My former employer is one of the largest blue chips in Europe...I'll let the Brits and Europeans guess who it is.

The FTSE (London stock exchange) was down around the 3500 mark last I looked, down from a high of over 6,000. Trading and losses on the market are as bad now as they were during the last recession.

The Bank of England recently cut interest rates by a quarter of a point. In an economy where inflation is practically nil and where the real estate market is out of control, this is probably NOT a good idea. The average house price in my city has doubled since 1993 and they are predicted to rise another 12-15% this year, putting a 3 bedroom home out of reach for many professional families. The average house price in Britain is now approaching 150,000 in a country where GPs (family doctors) make about 45,000, where senior programmers (in this region) make about 25,000-30,000, and where solicitors (lawyers) make about 35,000. If you had a family of four where the man was a doctor and the woman was a lawyer, both would have to work if they wanted to buy even a smallish house in a relatively decent neighborhood. It's getting more and more unusual to see "stay at home mums."

The price of a liter of petrol in my city has risen from 73p to 77p this year alone.

Television license fees are set to rise again. Currently, they're over 100 a year. Anyone who owns a television has to pay it.

Taxes are going to go up in April. Nobody's quite sure by how much they'll rise, but the increase will easily eat up the pay rises my colleagues and I received this year. We were given a 1%-2% raise. On some of their salaries, it works out to an extra 30 per paycheck. With inflation (while it's low, it does exist) and the tax increase, it's more like a pay cut. We'll take home less come April than we did in April 2002.

On the lighter side, unemployment is at its lowest point since the end of WWII.

On the darker side, it will undoubtedly rise in the coming year.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

LOL You are a cheerful person in life, no?

In the NE US, PD, Consultantcy seems to have been the trend for at least the last 2-3 years. This is actually the first part of the country I worked in where it was more of a norm than the exception.

I don't see that changing much; what's changing is the types of companies doing the hiring, and how long they're keeping people on 'post project'. I've been on a 'contract' with the current company I'm consulting with for the last 2 years (come May).

I've been browsing around job sites, tho, in a hope to see NJ, and probably 2/3 of what I've seen has either been contract, temp to perm, or in rare cases, direct placement by a firm.

Should things stay as they are in the Middle East, we are likely to see a boom. War is good for the economy, but more importantly, as far as job market is concerned, the people who've been called back from reserve status are going to have to be replaced, at least in the short term. That portion, obviously, will not last, but if the economy improves enough to stand alone after the fact, it will be an improvement over where we were, I think.

------------------
    To affect the quality of the day; that is the highest of arts qagirl@optonline.net
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing