Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QAForums life phase - NOT Heaven

Most phenomena have a limited life span: birth, growth, maturity, decline, and death.
    For example comp.software.testing was the best discussion board for testers before arrival of web – then it was almost killed by spam from qaforums.
    About a year ago qaforums indisputably was the best board for testers – far superior to anything else.
    Right now something strange is happening – I am getting less and less excited about qaforums. Usefulness of qaforums is gradually declining.
    Why? Core people (like Jeff) got tired? Some other sites have better information and discussion opportunities? I don’t know.
    Nevertheless I got an impression that qaforums now is moving from “maturity” to “decline” phase of its life.

Here is NOT Heaven: http://www.qaforums.com/Forum33/HTML/000702.html
    Yury
    Testing, Performance Testing, Performance Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QAForums life phase - NOT Heaven

Yury,

I would strongly disagree...

Before QAForums, The newsgroup was a place to find offending materials and real SPAM messages! After QAForums got the CC feature, most of the messages there were at least QA related! I mean the percentage of QA related messages vs, real SPAM increased, therefore it actually helped revive the newsgroup not Kill it!

I think you probably started using the newsgroup then I guess! QAForums has declined because of posts from specific people... with nothing good to say except complaints (like yourself for example)

Some people including Jeff, got sick of that! Can you imagine offering so much help to people only to get complaints by some picky ungrateful members!

So my take on it, if less complaining users use the site, it will pick up again... Plus evolution my friend always happens... This site may be in a transformation period now where new blood is being created. And old users are evolving into something else. There will be fresh blood with new ideas to add to the expertise of the site! Old school will remain, but new school is bound to change things and that you can take to the bank

Yury, please never again refer to QAForums as SPAM. Please try to understand what SPAM means 1st by looking it up, then speak! QAForums was created to fight SPAM, not contribute to it! And admit to the fact that I stopped the CC newsgroup feature when I actually got your complaint! Maybe I should not have listened to you in the 1st place.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 10-14-2002).]
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yury:
    Right now something strange is happening – I am getting less and less excited about qaforums. Usefulness of qaforums is gradually declining.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yury, why do you feel this is the case, at least for you? In other words, if you had to put into words exactly why you felt this, what would you say? Please understand that I am not asking this just so I can shoot down your answer. I truly am curious and if you feel like answering, I for one would listen with an open mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Why? Core people (like Jeff) got tired? Some other sites have better information and discussion opportunities? I don’t know.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm. The phrase "core people" scares me a little bit although I suppose get your point by it. (I also think it might suggest a partial, albeit very small, answer to at least some of the issues you perhaps see with the site as a whole.) I think sometimes it is that people get a little tired, as you state. Not tired of people on the forums, but just tired in general. You get burnt out and sometimes it is not a matter of finding better places to discuss things but rather taking time away from any place that discusses things. Sometimes people leave when they feel they have nothing further to contribute. So there are a lot of reasons why people might leave.

Admittedly, I think we can all agree that sometimes it is frustrating when you have a lot of new people come to a forum board like this and start posting the "same old questions" again and you realize that you are, once again, treading the same ground all over again. However, that is part and parcel of this kind of environment. If you have ever taught anyone any subject, you know that sometimes you have to repeat yourself, deal with obstinate personalities, deal with people who do not follow rules, etc. I am not saying this means you should lay down and be a door-mat for that kind of thing but it does mean you have to recognize it and then propose means of dealing with it. Not all solutions will be viable or even possible, but proposing them is, at least, a start. As the saying goes, "Give me a large enough lever, and I can move the world." Well, I say, "Give me at least the hint of a solution, and I can try to change things even if in only a small fashion."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Nevertheless I got an impression that qaforums now is moving from “maturity” to “decline” phase of its life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or ... perhaps QA Forums, like many other things, goes through cycles of maturity, growth, decline, etc. We have to remember: QA Forums has grown a lot and there are always growing pains. QA Forums is a large group of culturally diverse people that have different ways of communicating and different ways of relating to each other and that all have different experiences with other newsgroups, forums, etc. Not only is that bound to cause friction but it is bound to cause periods of what I suppose could be termed "localized decline" (using localized in the temporal, not spatial, sense).

------------------

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AJ:
    Yury, ...please never again refer to QAForums as SPAM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    AJ,
    It's a distorted quote. Actually I used phrase "then comp.software.testing was almost killed by spam from qaforums".
    I never described "QAForums as SPAM".
    I believe that testing community greatly benefited from your activity.
    I appreciate you efforts and believe that killing of c.s.t. was a progressive act.
    QAForums is better organised and structured than old c.s.t.
    Yury
    Testing, Performance Testing, Performance Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I wasn't here "back when" to compare. I will say that of all the forums I either have or currently do frequent, this one is by far the best and broadest.

That said, it is easy for those of us who answer more than we ask to become a little less excited about answering the same questions for the n-teenth time.

While it is admittedly hard to keep things fresh, we shouldn't then complain about the forum. This is the best there is, and we should work to keep it.

So I think we should all take a moment before we type and remember that each one of us is supporting a valuable resource that we don't want to lose... then post our message.

Of course, this is just one person's opinion.

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RSBarber:
    I wasn't here "back when" to compare. I will say that of all the forums I either have or currently do frequent, this one is by far the best and broadest.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was here "back when". My first post. Awwwww...how cute! (answered by Mr. AJ Alhait! )

I've been here 3+ years but have only had 116 posts. Looking back, I see that about half of them were in "Testing Tools" topics (SilkTest, Visual Test, etc.). Here's why...

I agree with RSBarber. I thought and still think that QAForums is the best place to get technical QA-related questions answered. If I have to learn Winrunner tomorrow, you'd better believe that this will be the first place I come for help. With 40K+ users, you can bet that someone here has experienced the same problem you're facing. A search may turn up the answer in a matter of seconds! If not, posts are usually answered accurately and quickly. You can't beat that!

Depending on what technical information you're seeking, there are other place on the net to look, but this is always my first (and usually last!) stop.

As for the rest of the board...
    I love to lurk in GD and ChitChat. Sometimes I will even post a wise (as in ***) remark. I enjoy reading the intellectual and sometimes philosophical debates on QA theory and practice.

Yury, I don't think QAForums is in a "decline" phase. Perhaps ChitChat has gotten a little silly lately. Do like I do: view it like a car wreck. Gawk, shake your head and move on.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damian Synadinos:
    I love to lurk in GD and ChitChat. Sometimes I will even post a wise (as in *** ) remark.
    <-- I call this badly needed levity and thank you

Yury, I don't think QAForums is in a "decline" phase. Perhaps ChitChat has gotten a little silly lately. Do like I do: view it like a car wreck. Gawk, shake your head and move on.

to gawk, shake head - I would add laugh

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    JP

[This message has been edited by jpensyl (edited 10-15-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damian Synadinos:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree on the first part, but I feel something happened here, and it is not pleasant.

I don't refer only to those who leaved the forums. They had theirs reasons.
    I've noticed that I don't see very often some names I used to see one year ago. I'm not so sure that's a coincidence. They used to post regularely for ... years, and now ... mostly silence.

I want to be well understood, I don't try to judge them, I want only to understand why ? It's only the long time on the forums ? It's only a matter of priorities ? No subject which could interest them ?...

or is more than that ?

------------------
    If you need a reason to be happy - FIND IT, don't wait it !
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have been here since *way back when* and I can tell you, we are far from the 'death' phase you talk about. I have well over 1000 posts here. I've drank from my bright yellow QAForums mug every morning, for over a year now!

Do I post as often as I did before? No. Is it because the forum is dying? No.

I don't post as often because of many things:

1) I've already asked MANY questions
    2) I've already responded to MANY questions
    3) I'm aware of what the forums archives hold and refer to them
    4) My knowledge of past posts causes me to find my answers in them, rather than to repeat again.
    5) I'd like to think I've learned some things, in which case, I don't feel the need to ask about them.

Am I as excited about my posts as before? Yes! But they're fewer and far between. I lurk constantly, seeing if there's anything more that I can contribute to a thread that isn't already being said. But that's the key here - IT'S ALREADY BEING SAID! I don't need to repeat it.

QAForums has been and remains the best QA industry discussion forum. I'm sure you'll find that as you mature in your career, you'll mature in your posts. So you'll drop in quantity and rise in quality. Which is exactly what this place is all about.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You have a mug? I want a mug! Where do I get a mug?!?

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com