SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The worst project you worked on

Over the years I have worked on some absolute diasters. I assume many of you out there are the same.

I was a Test Lead on a major re-development of a Medium Sized Telco Provisioning Application. The project manager pushed the product into System Test too early with minimal unit testing. I had a total of 11 Testers hitting this product and at the end of one week we had 600 Oustanding bugs, note that many were raised and fixed within the week. The original plan was to deliver the product in 3 months. It took 12 Months.

I have worked on others which failed to deliver at all, but I have never seen so many bugs raised in such a short period on a medium sized product.

------------------
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

[This message has been edited by rtehve (edited 10-09-2002).]
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: The worst project you worked on

I don't know if number of bugs would be the measure of the worst project I've ever been on. I do remember mine, and it wasn't that there were so many bugs, but the new system didn't have even as much as what it was replacing.

Original Process : a set of Excel spread sheets with totals being e-mailed from satelite offices and manually entered into the main database for management metrics.

New Process : All satalite offices enter figures into on-line calc sheet to get totals returned back to them in 1 business day. Managment metrics automatically calced on line.

Gain : Up to 5 days gain in management metrics reports timing.
    Loss : Ability at satellite offices to be able to calc totals immediately in Excel.

The product tested out to its specs and failed at pilot.
    Never rolled out.
    Re-written to give satellites immediate totals.
    Took another year before it got out, but I was gone by then.

(how do spell satellite?!)
    ------------------
    Jean James, CSTE
    J.James Consulting, Inc.
    "I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver."

[This message has been edited by Jeanj (edited 10-09-2002).]
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: The worst project you worked on

Every once in a while I get to talk about how I worked in Hell. Hell, as it turns out, is a bank.

We were rolling a time entry application across the enterprise. When we came to the division with the branches, we realized that they don't run on the same network as the rest of the bank. They're on the mainframe.

So we write a mainframe version of the app and, as with all other groups, we run a parallel process for one paycycle, so they can learn the system.

"Key in the hours", we tell them, "but don't approve the time."

Works great for everyone else. Wanna guess what happened? Yep, they approved their employees' time.

Coincidentally, on the same paycycle, someone called into customer support asking about negative hours. Should they go under the "dock" code, or negative "regular" hours. Instead of giving the user to us, like he was supposed to, the rep said to use negative "regular" hours.

To make a long story short, this caused the export file that went to PeopleSoft to be completely wrong for those employees, and our friends over at the branches.... well, they had double exceptions hours... like double the overtime... and... double the docktime too.

If you were a zero-hour employee (works as needed) and only work 10 hours (normally have 30 hours of docktime on your sheet), then you didn't get paid, 'cause you had 60 dock hours compared to the 10 you worked.

And who got to clean up that mess?

I am so glad I don't work there anymore...

------------------
    WinAmp. Llama Tested. Mother Approved.
    Jordan Gottlieb
    President, Charlotte Mercury User Group
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA