Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

system failure: human or computer error

Not only does this article actually provide some details about the defect, which is not all that common and is kind of fun to read, but it also shows a weird spin tactic. They called the software defect a human error. This, I believe, is significant, because generally in the past this sort of stuff has been blamed on computers. "Oh, it was a computer problem." Now, it seems that it is worse to admit to a computer problem, so it was labelled as a human error. Since humans have been the ones programming the computers, haven't all computer errors been human errors?

911 system failure tied to computer programming error
    http://www.post-gazette.com/localnew...501911out5.asp

------------------
    Thanks,
    Tim Van Tongeren
    Thanks,
    Tim Van Tongeren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: system failure: human or computer error

I found this very interesting, but I was also disturbed because they are leaning towards identifying a person by name to blame.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    Verizon is continuing its investigation and still does not know who made the programming error, or when it happened.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    While I definitely agree with accountability, I definitely disagree with one person 'being responsible' for this error. One person may make a coding error, but the whole software group is responsible for a software error being released into the field. Any change to a system as critical as a 911 system should be inspected and testing. Any errors are the responsiblity of the group as a whole.

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: system failure: human or computer error

testgeek

I find this disturbing as I use to work for Rockwell.

This is a clear case of not enough testing. Backup system and processes tend to get overlooked or glossed over in testing.

A worse example was a pro-tech accounting firm descided to jump in and buy one of these fancy miniframe systems a while ago. They even specified they wanted a backup system.

The system ran perfectly for 5 years until there was a crash. Guess what....the backup system had never worked, never was tested....not even a partial restore at any stage.

------------------
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com