Thread: Pets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Pets

Okay, so there are lots of threads that discuss dogs (the best pet).

There are a few people who've mentioned having cats (Jeff, I can buy you a dog if you want).

So, I thought I'd start a thread to find out pets people have in general.

------------------
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved..."
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Pets

I have two dogs.

Gracie is a lovable, gentle, sweet Australian Cattle Dog

and

Tripps is a satanic, psychotic, gorgeous, playful Shiba Inu.

In my defense, I have had a cat before, but not since being on my own. Nothing but dogs.

My favorite previous pet was a Cocker Spaniel named Caleb. We got him from a friend who couldn't keep him anymore in her apartment, and he was a wonderful dog. Only dog I ever had that could walk himself! A trainer had taught him to carry his own leash in his mouth - that was fun when going down the street - it definitely got attention!

------------------
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved..."
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lucy is our 8 year old shih tsu.

She is very independent unless the nephews are over. If a nephew is on your lap - Lucy must also be on your lap!

She is a great house dog - does nothing but sleep if we're out of the house. Won't eat - won't drink - and therefore won't "go" either!

We took her for training lessons when she was a pup - she remembers them when we're outside on our walks - she has convenient amnesia inside the house - won't come over unless she feels like it - no matter how many times you call her! Usually a bisuit does the trick.

Oh - and she hates us after her "beauty" treatments - won't speak to us for hours after we bring her home!

Cats - can't stand 'em! If you ask me - they're creepy, sneaky, and they have evil eyes!

And now back to dogs - can anyone recommend a low calorie biscuit? Lucy's getting a little hefty from all her bribes!

------------------
    JRica, CSTE
    Software QA Engineer Lead
    JRicardo
    Senior SQA Analyst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have a mutt (part Aussie Cattle Dog, part who knows what - though I'm guessing at least a little Pit Bull). I adopted him from a local animal orphanage a little over a year ago, and have been thankful ever since - we get along great, and all my friends and family love him, too.

I grew up with a couple cats in the family, and while they were OK and I like other people's cats just fine, I do prefer dogs. I know a couple ladies who have birds as pets (cockatoos), but I just can't see that myself - I guess I want any pet of mine to at least have fur.

------------------
    Charles Reace

charles{DOT}reace{AT}verizon{DOT}net
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As for myself, as QAGirl mentioned, I do have cats - all strays. They are (in order of acquisition):

Kepler (orange tabby)
    Copernicus (tabby-siamese mix)
    Maxwell (pure siameses)
    Newton (longhair)
    Galileo (tabby)
    Tycho (burmese)
    Gödel (persian)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Here we go:

Ayla - American Quarter Horse, chestnut, 1995 mare. VERY pretty - often mistaken for an Arab because of her looks (looks like her Mom) and slight build (darn thoroughbred on her top side coming out). I've moved her to a closer farm and she's enjoying her new buddies. I've had her since her conception (I had her mother bred, chose the stallion) and was present at her birth!

Bailey - Domestic Short Hair Cat - tortoise shell colouring (grey and cream tabby mixed together); female. A rescue from the side of the road. Now a year and a half old.

Morgan - Domestic Short Hair Cat - brown tabby; male. When the room-mate moved out and took Bailey's brother, she cried for 3 days straight. Found out about a kitten which had been abandoned and hand raised by bottle, he had just been turned in to the shelter. Found him screaming in a cage, face pressed against the bars and little nails trying desperately to grab me. About a month younger than Bailey.

Bailey and Morgan are now often found laying together as 'Yin and Yang' on the couch.

Bridget - 11 year old Black with white chest, Aussie Cattle Dog; female. Was from a rescue association who took her out of an abusive home. Obedience training, socialization and getting over hurdles such as separation anxiety were difficult. She's now 11 and is happiest when there's a new blanket of snow to burrow into like a giant worm.

Potential Puppy - We are getting a Rottweiler puppy this spring. We've been in contact with the breeder since July, my boyfriend is building them a new website and I can't wait for our 'little girl' to arrive!

That's all for now - but I've had horses, dogs, cats, fish, birds, guinea pigs and MULTIPLE rescue-ees in the past.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, I hope none of your pets go thru this thing in the "Oddly Enough" section of Yahoo news:
    "Horse Plays Surrogate Mom to Rare Donkey"

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I currently have a rabbit called Ollie (mainly black with pale belly and feet, greyish long hair round the back of his head making him look a bit like Don King with lop ears).

And a hamster Tim (white and gold)

Two tortoises Bumpy and Titch (Had them as long as I can remember over twenty years).

Have had in the past guinea pigs, rabbits, slow worms, birds, fish, caterpillers and a cat.

Would like reptiles and spiders.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Wow, trew LOL... not one 'standard' pet in there!

What makes you interested in owning the types of pets you do? To be different, or is there something in them that appeals to you?

------------------
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Anyone who wants to see my girls:

Go to http://www.photoisland.com

Login: annemar
    Password: qaforums

Click the album in the left nav area.

------------------
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast