It was an informative and fun-filled 3 days. The instructor was very knowledgeable and my classmates were a great bunch. Most were local to Atlanta (the MI training center that I attended was there). Only myself and one other person were from out of town.

Incidentally, I plugged the heck out of qaforums, so we may be seeing some new faces around here.

If you've never done anything with WinRunner, then you'll find the training class exceptionally informative and you'll spend the whole day working at getting the concepts. I'd suggest going through the tutorial before going to training. You'll see a lot of parallels and even the same "flight reservation system", but with a little more robustness to it. Also, you've got people with you in the training enviornment to go through troubleshooting.

One thing that I liked was that we talked (albeit briefly) about strategy on various topics. Important note: There is no right or wrong way for some things to be done, but there are (dis)advantages to one way and (dis)advantages to the other. Sometimes, there's four different ways to do the same thing. The question is: Which way is more maintainable in your enviornment and which way are you most comfortable with?

We talked about GUI Maps more in-depth than the tutorial goes through. We also talked verification points, synch points, and talked some TSL. We talked a little bit about debugging and we even had the opportunity to make improvements. We did find some "issues" with the training text, but those are now submitted to Merc Training to fix.

The TD class was set up a little differently than the WR class. Where the WR class had a lecture/lab for each chapter, the TD class was set up with lecture/instructor-led lab/challenge for each chapter. This put a lot more on the student to absorb the information. The idea was that you needed to figure out the challenge questions without the aid of the instructor. Students worked together on these. The TD class is also being revamped. Currently, it's one day. It'll be 2 or 3 days by the time they're done with it. A person who's not touched TD might find this class a bit overwhelming for one day. Not because the app is difficult to learn, but from the sheer volume of material to be covered. I felt that a lot was glossed over for the TD class that could have gone into more detail--if there was more time.

I did like, however, the brief discussion on requirements and what makes a good one and what makes a bad one. This definitely helped when it came to setting up the requirements for the challenge question.

All in all, I'd say the experience was very positive. I got a lot of valuable information that might have taken me a lot more time and digging to look up on my own. While there's no one thing in the training session that can't be learned on one's own (with some help), it was nice having it all in one place presented to me. The trainer was very enthusiastic (had a nice and funny way of rationalizing everything) and very well versed in the ways of WR (not as much in TD) and apparently LoadRunner as well. If I should ever take the Advanced WR class (or the LR class), I'd want him as a trainer again.

Oh yeah, the snacks were yummy too.

"I can see my house from here!"
Jordan Gottlieb
Qualitech Solutions, Inc.