Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: For Those Of You Who Like Cats Way Too Much

Awesome.

I am a cat person - I own seven of them, all strays - so this was a nice story.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Definitely a heartwarming story.. Reminds me of some kids in the midwest somewhere who collected money to get shoes for the dogs so 'they wouldn't have to keep hurting their feet'. I remember one dog being highlighted when he just gave up inside a building - he was just too fatigued, and in the middle of searching, he just stopped and layed down.. poor boy!!

Jeff...

SEVEN cats??? Do you have a house or an apartment?? Don't get me wrong, some cats can be cute (and my smaller dog thinks she IS a cat), but seven??

------------------
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection - the lovers, the dreamers and me...
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QAGirl:
    SEVEN cats??? Do you have a house or an apartment?? Don't get me wrong, some cats can be cute (and my smaller dog thinks she IS a cat), but seven?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a house. And, yes, seven is way too many. But they were all strays. I either found them around my neighborhood or, in the case of two of them, they found me. (I know the vet just loves seeing me come in when I found a new one. I can just hear them saying "Oh, boy! Here comes this sucker again!")

Actually, while growing up my parents had always had dogs. Right now, however, I do not think I could go back to dogs. Do not get me wrong - dogs are great, loyal companions. But there is just something about the "independent-ness," if you will, of cats that I find charming. (I know this is an aspect of them that drives most people nuts.)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeffNyman:
    (I know the vet just loves seeing me come in when I found a new one. I can just hear them saying "Oh, boy! Here comes this sucker again!")<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww... a sucker for takin care of strays isn't a bad thing...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    But there is just something about the "independent-ness," if you will, of cats that I find charming. (I know this is an aspect of them that drives most people nuts.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, yes... kitty conceit... (where are you Maniacally??)

My dog is that way though, so I get enough.. Just about every description I've ever read calls her 'catlike', and even the AKC notes their independent nature.
    http://www.dogandkennel.com/breeds/shibainu.shtml

------------------
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection - the lovers, the dreamers and me...

[This message has been edited by QAGirl (edited 10-22-2001).]
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually, I like that article on the link you pointed out. What it says is very true: some cat people will refer to their cats as having "dog-like" properties but it is rare to hear the dog owner saying, "Man, is that dog just like a cat or what!?"

In general, however, I have found that since owning cats I have found that there are severe misconceptions about them. There are the obvious things like cats' lactose intolernace which is very well-known but other things are interesting. For example, a lot of people think they are cold and distant to people but, I tell you, the minute I sit down at my computer desk all seven of the little runts decide they want to sit on my lap at the same time. And, oh my goodness, do they love a heating blanket in the winter! I wake up sometimes in the middle of the night and I consider myself fortunate if I have even a small smidgen of the bed to myself.

Cats, like dogs, are very affectionate animals to owners who treat them well and they are wonderful to come home to after a long day.

What is interesting is that I read an article one time that said most American males dislike cats because cats are too independent and will not listen to you when you call them. The gist of the article was that most men want to be able to "control" the animal and have it respond to them and, generally, cats do not commend themselves to that type of situation. (Something to which I can attest.)

Ah well, dogs or cats - they can each be our best friend.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For Those Of You Who Like Cats Way Too Much

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I am a dog person.

But here's a nice bit of news. Even it was a cat...

animal.discovery.com/news/reu/20011015/cat.html

------------------
    "I can see my house from here!"
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeffNyman:
    Actually, I like that article on the link you pointed out. What it says is very true: some cat people will refer to their cats as having "dog-like" properties but it is rare to hear the dog owner saying, "Man, is that dog just like a cat or what!?"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ended up online forever last night with links on Shibas... Tripps is 100% the prototype of her breed from looks to temprament. And similar to most cats I've had in that she is very loving, when it suits her to be!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    What is interesting is that I read an article one time that said most American males dislike cats because cats are too independent and will not listen to you when you call them. The gist of the article was that most men want to be able to "control" the animal and have it respond to them and, generally, cats do not commend themselves to that type of situation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because American Males want *everything* to listen to them when they call.

Absolutely joking. . . well, okay, *mostly* joking.

As a little side note, one of the sites I looked at last night had a clip of 'Shiba Sounds" with some of the whining, barking, and other noises a Shiba will occasionally make. I wanted to listen in general, and my poor girl went NUTS. I didn't know a dog could tilt her head that far to the side and look quite that pitiful. She got lotsa loving after that stunt.

------------------
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Annamarie – Happy Birthday … I had never heard of a shiba inu – she sounds wonderful.

Jeff – Your cats sound neat, and your homepage is impressive. Have you ever read Deming? (His writing itself, not people writing ABOUT him.) “Out of the Crisis” is one of my favorite sources of quality and management quotes – to wit, “ The aim of leadership should be to improve the performance of man and machine, to improve quality, to increase output, and simultaneously to bring pride of workmanship to people…The leader also has responsibility to improve the system…(and) to accomplish ever greater and greater consistency of performance within the system…” In my opinion, that applies to software quality issues -- management, development and testing-- as well as to making cars or canning pop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gabby:
    Jeff – Your cats sound neat, and your homepage is impressive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. Actually, my home page is way out of date right now. I am currently working on an entirely new set up for presenting quality assurance subjects. The trouble right now has been getting the time to do it.

Yes, I have certainly read Deming (his own works as well as those who have written about him). I completely agree that the manufacturing industry has a lot to teach the software industry as far as good practices goes, and not just in the context of refactoring. This is something that I find very few quality professionals understand. It is very nice to find someone of a similar mindset.

(And, by the way, the cats say thank you as well.)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have two cats right now. One was found at the side of the road with her brother. When my roomie moved out - he took him. Bailey cried for 3 days.

I went to the SPCA and picked up Morgan. A friend of a friend had bottle raised him and had just taken him there the night before. There's nothing more pitiful than a little kitten screeching in a cage and trying to grab you with his paws "GET ME OUTTA HERE!"

Ever since they've been best buddies. They snuggle up on the couch so tightly that you can't tell where one ends and the other begins.

However, I will be getting a puppy next spring and I can't wait. I've chosen a Rottweiler. I have extensive experience with dogs, training and animal behavior (9 years managing veterinary clinics will do that). I can't wait to prove all of those people wrong about my chosen breed. The Rottie is NOT a first time dog owner kinda dog. NOR is it the type of dog that you get from a backyard breeder or a pet store. ALWAYS meet the breeder, BOTH parents and RESEARCH them; of ANY breed of dog (or purebred cat).

Getting a dog is a 15-year commitment - do yourself the favour and research the dog and its origin BEFORE you get it. You do the same for a computer or a new DVD player, and dogs are around for years longer!

------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast