Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Red face Any game QAs out there?

I did some searching and couldn't find many posts about games.
    I'm a video game QA tester. I've worked for a couple of months on a multinational mobile game developer as a QA tester, and today I got a job in another game company that develops advergames.
    I know that QAs in the game industry are one of the lowest jobs available but it's kind of an achievement to even be part of a game company in my country, as there isn't much game jobs around here.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I am an auto manufacturer load tester by day...

If you consider the fact that I am developing(for 2.5 years now) my own 2d mmorpg and rigorously testing it, then yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by jayavon View Post
    I am an auto manufacturer load tester by day...

If you consider the fact that I am developing(for 2.5 years now) my own 2d mmorpg and rigorously testing it, then yes.
    That's amazing Jayavon! Is it near completion? I sure want to play it. What Game QA methods do you use?

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    My game website is 2D MMORPG Kisnard Online for you to check it out. Check out the forums/facebook page too for pictures. I am always looking for help art wise lol. I am hoping to have it online for Alpha/Beta testing August this year.

Well that is the biggest problem, it is a fully customizable/movable GUI interface(JInternalFrames) with java swing, but also a 'gamePanel' where the map and players/landscape/etc. is drawn. I could have a properties file for testing where I have all windows where I want them/sized and try to do some sort of macro testing. I honestly don't have time for that because I am going at 1000mph on development.

Testing has primarily been, write code/test new functionality. Regression testing happens when a friend wants to see a demo. I find myself saying, hmm that should have worked while showing them the game and making a note for later. Luckily there have not been many bugs as most of the code is protocol based speaking between client/server.

When I get the game live I will be having Alpha testing where players can login and 'play' and tell me all of the bugs they find.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hey there! I've been working in games QA for over 6 years now. Presently managing the operations at a QA firm in Canada.

One of my goals is to bridge the gap between games and "software" that seems prevalent anytime I talk to local software testers in non-games settings. Based on my reading and networking, there are few differences apart from one industry being very casual and unregulated (at a glance, anyways) and by that I mean games. I refuse to accept that games testing is merely a stepping stone into the rest of the industry - some people just want to break things!