Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Question Would you want to own a Self-Driving car?

This article Would You Consider An Autonomous Car If It Came With A Deep Insurance Discount? made me think.

Google and others are working on self-driving cars.

At the same time, we see an increasing stream of automobiles being recalled due to software defects. All Things Quality: Perhaps They Should Have Tested More - Honda

Would you trust an autonomous car?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Parts of my car are already autonomous. Automatic Transmission, the doors lock after a few minutes. I think that I'd prefer the automation to be introduced slowly. Perhaps it could handle right turns only first. I'd be uncomfortable to have it be "all or nothing" to start out with.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Maybe, getting that extra hour of sleep on a long commute.

But I can see alot of potential issues.

* Will the car get lost if GPS & cell signal is lost?
    * How is the car protected against hacking? AirGap, firewall?
    * How much involvement do we need to do? For example, if the car is driving itself, am I allowed to sleep or use my tablet to check my email while the car is driving? If I can't, I might as well be driving the car so I have something to do.

There's a whole list of issues. But I do like that California and Nevada is taking the first step in allowing them, so companies can start to work out these problems early on. I think it might be a good way to supplement busses. Where busses can take you to stops along a major street, an autonomous car can do the final let where you go from the bus stop to say a residence in a suburban neighborhood.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Imagine if there was a clerical error in the DOJ database, and you were suddenly mistaken for a high-profile most-wanted criminal. You get into your car to get to work, it locks you in the doors & drives you straight to a prison cell at high speed. Nope.