Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Choate and irregardless ...

Ignore the political angle and just enjoy the story. ;-)

On Language - Why Does Justice Antonin Scalia Hate the Word 'Choate'? - NYTimes.com
    "By ruling from the bench on what is and isn’t a word, Scalia is following in the footsteps of his former colleague William Rehnquist, who once interrupted the argument of a lawyer who dared to use the nonstandard word irregardless. “I feel bound to inform you that there is no word in the English language irregardless,” Rehnquist said. “The word is regardless.”"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/ma...ge-t.html?_r=0

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    cmeisenzahl

What I found odd is the lawyer was trying to sound impressive using a wanky word then surrounded it with very poor grammar.

Back in the early 2000's we had a politician (in Aus) that did this all the time, he wanted to be prime minister and obviously failed.

There is a pseudo-intellectual class that obviously goes out of their way to use uncommon terms to sound superior...... lawyers are the usual culprits but many politicians do it as well.

When I hear people talking like that I rapidly develop a negative opinion about them.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Does bug me to see such non-existent words such as 'updation' and typos on resumes. For a quality assurance position at that. I was always taught in school that typos just get your resume thrown out, but it seems if we did that we'd have no applicants these days.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    NoUse4aName

100% agree, a while back I was involved hiring about a dozen people for a very high profile company meaning we go trhough 100's of CV's

You have to cull it down quickly and badly structured resumes with obvious typos or poor grammar/expression were tossed out

Most CV's I read are not that bad, the biggest complaint is lack of summary and no structure.

Talking like the lawyer above verbally or in written form would instantly turn me off.

No only is the guy trying to be a wanker he is actually failing at it
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com