Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

NASA video on innovation and inclusion

Caught this on NPR this morning and the video looks pretty interesting, though maybe someone (Jake? hint...hint...) whose had some experience in military contracting has some comments.

Barriers To Innovation and Inclusion
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: NASA video on innovation and inclusion

Jake is not the only one around who has been involved with the government. First of ll I am really surprised that Heather got as far as the Branch Chief. She is a contractor and as such, she is paid to do one job and do it right. She is not paid to go outside of the box. If she had done that she would no longer be a contractor. I speak from experience. I am no longer a government contractor, I was shot as the messenger. NASA is not the only agency which does business in this manner. Institutional Inertia is the driving force for most agencies as well as historical tradition.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry Rich, Jake just makes more noise about it so I think of him that way first.

I had heard of some of this Institutionalization at NASA, mostly due to the Challenger incident, I had an idea other groups operated this way but didn't think it was that widespread. I like how they on one hand say they encourage innovation and new ideas, but in the next breath tell you it must be in a structured method and done within a framework that stifles it. Not that I expected much different I suppose.
    - M

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No apology required. Jake is the first one who came to my mind too. Perhaps I am a bit bitter with the government’s methodology as they do employ change on a regular basis. In fact where I worked for 9 years, there was a re-org every year or so. It's like they knew something was wrong, but just couldn't get it right. Reminds me of a tug boat with a barge in tow. It steers to the right and eventually the barge swings right, but by then it is deemed an over-correction so the tug swings to the left. Equilibrium is never quite established.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Michael! This comes as no surprise. That type of innovation-handling is almost too common to be believable. On the other hand, there are organizations within DoD which strongly support innovation and handling change proposals. Of the contracts I worked, 2 of 5 had that mindset. I could easily rant about 20 pages worth here on the two of the 5.

The space agency does tout change control on projects I am acquainted with and I would venture to say that the contract did not expressly limit the victim's plea for innovation via change proposals. Therefore I have to believe even without seeing the contract, that those space agency emps were way out of line. This is the type of stuff Obama needs to hear about. The entire chain of command was compromised by an overabundance of idiocy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Keep in mind, "Change is not always good". Her idea may not have been a good thing, especially since they were well into the project.
    Personal Comment

~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have a friend who has done some contract work in the DC area and he's made similar comments, but these are were in smaller Administrations; like satellite mapping and the like. It just seems disingenuous to hear "We support your innovation" but then to say "You should do it within this framework.." which just says to me its stifling the whole process. I grant you would not want to be adjusting process during a project, but if you can achieve savings without hampering the project I can't see why it would not be looked at. The silos they seemed to be in looked very constraining. Since its getting press I am sure at some point this will get attention by the Administration.
    - M

- Unknown

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Michael,

You made me think of my bosses. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This kind of lacksidasical, laid back attitude is not limited to government agencies only. It is everywhere, in all sectors, in all countries. This is more of person dependen; especially applicable to people working for an agency for many years. They kind of develop this attitude. See, Heather is a contractor, she is young, and maybe this is why she has fresh & better ideas.

There is nothing new in hearing, "your idea is good.., but.."!!!