Hi All,

A few weeks ago I posted a message about the book I am working on and was lucky enough to get some load testing experts to join my review panel. Unfortunately my hard disk crashed and took the email list with it, so if you were on the list before and would like to remain there please send me another email, will you?

One of the themes of the book is the need for a Web Site Capacity Rating System and how we might go about establishing one. I suggested a 5 Star system like hotels, but perhaps a raw number like automobile horsepower would be better. A site that can handle a larger number of visitors and hits without slowing down would get a higher rating than one that can't, that sort of thing. I'd like to ask for opinions on this matter, and also ask for participation - I've floated this idea by people at Sun, IBM and others and have gotten some serious interest. But the formula used to derive the rating number and the methodology behind it needs to be effective regardless of the tool being used. A key point is that the site must be on the Web in order to be rated, otherwise a large category of performance issues go unmeasured.

If you'd like to be added to the mailing list for the book and/or the evolving discussions about the rating system, please write to me at randy@capcal.com. I'm also involved in a project to measure and compare the capacity of the Web sites belonging to the major metropolitan dailies in the US and abroad - did you know that the SF Chronicle site leaves the SF Examiner site choking in its dust? Or the NY Post has a much more powerful site than the Times and Daily News?

I posted a news article about this but it got deleted - I guess because it came off sounding like an advertisement. If I used a competitor's tool to generate the same results it might be even more newsworthy, don't you think? Maybe that's what I should do next.

If you'd like to see a sample Capacity Analysis Report containing the kinds of data that are used in the rating, please write to me. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.