Diff between Scalability and Reliability ??

Why do we do Scalability test and why do we do Reliability Test. What is the difference between these two?

My Profile

Re: Diff between Scalability and Reliability ??

Scalability "indicates its ability to either handle growing amounts of work in a graceful manner, or to be readily enlarged"

Reliability is "the ability of a system or component to perform its required functions under stated conditions for a specified period of time."

Also see: http://www.sqablogs.com/jstrazzere/4...ing+Terms.html
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Scalability :Scalability Testing can be defined as an application’s ability to maintain constant user response times regardless of how many users are on the system simultaneously.

In simple terms ..

• How many users can the application handle before “bad stuff” happens
    • How much data can my database/file server handle?
    • Are the network components adequate?

Reliability Testing can be defined as a Web site’s ability to be constantly accessible, around the clock and around the world, regardless of how many users are accessing it.

To find out will performance be consistent over time, memory leak & deadlock issue,threading issue

My philosphy has always been if you can explain it in layman's terms you truly understand it.

Scalability: Capacity - how big can the system get (users, data, transactions, etc.) before problems occur?

Reliability: Uptime. How well does the application perform over time?