Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Performance testing on MIcrosoft Project 2002

Dear all:

I have a question about how to do Performance tesing on Project 2002.Anyone can give me some advices for that? I should test many VU input at the same time?( this must use project server)or ?
    I will use Rational teamtest to do this.

Thank you very much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Performance testing on MIcrosoft Project 2002

Yes, you will need a project server, since TeamTest (and most other load generation tools) simulate only network traffic.

What do you want to know? You determine the goals of your tests, maybe requirements, determine your workload distribution model, record-EDIT-playback scripts, and analyze results - repeat as necessary.

I'm guessing you are trying to figure out how to record. I'm guessing that Project uses MS SQL Server as a project server. You would probably want to use Network Recording, with the SQL or ODBC protocol - at least that is where I would start.

I'm not sure that is what you are asking, so please clarify your question if it doesn't.
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Dear Scott:

What i want to do is to compare two or three testing tools

First I use Project 2002 as an example for testing.And my prefer is to test How Project 2002 track or management process works

Second, what i want is to know how testing tools works when we test Microsoft Project 2002. Maybe different testing tools has different model to deal with same testing. To see which one is more efficient. Analysis the reason why it works better due to this test and does it has other merits for some special testing?

The last aim is to get : Scope and power of these Testing tools.

Now what i am confusing is how to do performance test of project 2002 without Project server? I know i can use another server, but it will be different with Project server

If only focus on Project standard 2002 itself, then where i should start for performance testing?

I though about test how it works when deal with updating informantion of 100 or more resourses(such as: import or export XML files?or..?)

Scott, I read all papers on ur own website, they are really good for me. But everything is difficult at the first step.so I wanna get more advices for that and make a right decision for the future works on this topic.

thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Meteor,

Perhaps you can use what Scott recommends in addition to running your comparison-tests against the system and/or applications that will ultimately require the performance testing in your organization - as opposed to using Project.

The benefits of demonstrating the tools against what you will ultimately need to test are many:

1) Lessons learned about the tool match with your technology.
    2) A better feel for the tool to most likely accommodate most of your needs.
    3) You may end up with some reusable scripts that you can use during your actual testing.
    4) You will become quickly familiar with your data needs for an acutal test, and - the data items that will require paramterization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, Project is actually fairly complex, and different tools would handle it differently, AND those differences are not likely to be directly related to the differences you would find when testing YOUR application.

In addition, if you are looking to performance test the updating of files like that on the client, that is a different breed of performance testing altogether. I don't have anything published that directly addresses that. Everything I have written is about multi-user distributed systems.

I'm glad you enjoyed the articles. I'll keep writing as long as people keep reading!
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.