Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Printer performance and stress check list

hi,
    My boss ask me to prepare a spread sheet for
    "stability and stress testing" of NETWORK printers.so can any body please give me some good scenarios for that?If you send me few sample test case sheet that would be really great.
    Many thanks in advance.
    PC

------------------
    Raj
    (CSTM, ISTQB, Six Sigma, Oracle 9i)
    -----------------------------------
    Visit my site: www.softwareqatestings.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Printer performance and stress check list

I have a couple of questions. What exactly is your boss trying to figure out? Is he trying to figure out how much load the print server can handle? Is he trying to figure out if you need another print server, another printer, or if you can downgrade? Or, does he just want the printer to print his jobs first and quicker than everyone elses? (just kidding....sort of)

This could be a little tricky to accomplish. You deffinitely do not want to do this with actual print jobs. That could waste a lot of paper and toner. If you go through with this, you would want to set up a printer surrogate that would take the jobs out of the queue, wait for a certain amount of time (mimicing the printing) and then go on to the next job.

Let us know if you need more info. Plus, giving us some more info about what exactly you are trying to accomplish could help us come up with better test cases.

mike

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the reply.Actually, I am in a printer driver testing company where we test
    various kind of branded network model printers.One of the test is the stability of the printer (or rather say printer firmware) in stress situation which includes sending jobs to the printer by various protocols for a long time, short term test, error recover conditions like paper jam, paper out etc.My boss want me to put all these kind of test cases in a spread sheet or in other words prepare some chck list sort of thing.So I need some sample test sheets for that which will cover all possible printer stability test scenarios.
    From the faq section I got some idea and based on that most probably I can start my work but still if there is any standard spread sheet already exists that would be really great.
    Thank again for the reply.
    PC

------------------
    Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have a write-up entitled: "Testing device drivers" which includes printer drivers and is about seven pages long. It focuses on configuration and compatbility testing rather than load and stress testing. A printer's compatibility testing is arguably more tricky than its load and stress testing. Contact me directly if you want a copy.

Looking at other people's lists of test cases is a convenient shortcut as a starting point in yur work. But if you don't mind me saying so, you should be able to think this situation through for yourself. Consider it a professional challenge -- if you can't think for yourself you are doomed to be another robot tester.

Hint: what you need is what Pettichord calls a theory of errors and others call a fault model. The operative question to ask -- and to answer for yourself based on your everyday expperience with printers -- is:

What could go wrong? In what ways could a printer be peak-loaded and overloaded? In what other ways besides overloading could a printer fail?

Once you have s first draft of an answer then review field reports of printer problems (assuming you have them) to supplement your list. Or ask a printer repair person to critique it,

Ross

rcollard@attglobal.net

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks man.That's a good help.I also
    started working on the spread sheet and trying to find out the real life printer error scenarios.
    PC

------------------
    Raj