Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How load testing tool identify wireless device as a client and record the script.

Hello

I need to know which load/load testing tool useful for conducting the performance of

application which have following architecture

Application Architecture:

Application is a WORK FORCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM.

Application has wireless device and access the server throgh Vodaphone GPRS/GSM network

Wireless device named FEX21 from Itronica
    Server named Advantex from MDSI
    Wireless network (i.e. Technology provided from Vodaphone GPRS/GSM Network).

FEX21 is send messgaes throgh GPRS/GSM network to Apollo VPN server and then Apollo VPN

server send messages to Advantex server.

In this project one mobile application also run on mobile device , this mobile application

also provided by MDSI and it is customised.

Protocol used from Wireless device to Advantex servr is TCP/IP.
    There is no WAP or I-Mode wireless protocol used in this application.

I need to check the end-to-end performance of application, means from wireless device to

Advantex server.

Questions :

1. Plz suggest need any load testing tool who can identified a wirelss device as a client

and check the performance of application in real time scenario.

Main challange in this project that there is no Windows Riplica of Wireless device provided.
    No toolkit(such as Nokia tookit etc.) of wirelss device is provided
    No interfaces for wireless device is provided for conducting perofrmance testing.

Then how any load testing tool can identified wireless device as a client so that successful

recording can done and then perform the load on server ?

2. And also suggest how recording will done when application is a client server application

(i.e. application are not open in browser) and application are not web base application.
    OR how recording will perform when application is some EXE and open on desktop rather than

browser. Pls send commnet for any load testing tool.

If u have any solution for above queries with tool like RationalRobot and Load runner

solution will be more helpfull b,coz I am using Rational and Loadrunner.

Thanks & Regards
    Jayzen

Also send reply on jayzen19@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How load testing tool identify wireless device as a client and record the script.

I've done it with Rational. It is both technically and conceptually tricky. You gave a very detailed description of the architecture, but I actually need more information to figure it out in detail. The trick is this - sinc you don't have an emulator, you have to capture and playback traffic directly at the gateway, and then extrapolate the time difference between the traffic from load generation tool to gateway vs wireless device to the gateway.

The really tricky part is there is nothing you can do about performance from the gateway to the device. That is 100% about your Service agreement with the provider. Moving from one side of a room to the other can drastically effect perfomance on a wireless device. All you CAN control is the gateway and beyond. You end up doing a lot of math and stating a lot of assumptions.

I have a document that I might be able to find about how to approach this conceptually. I'll look around for it. Also look at the article entitled Automated Testing of Embedded Devices on http://www.perftestplus.com. It briefly mentions performance testing of wireless devices.

------------------
    Scott Barber, Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How load testing tool identify wireless device as a client and record the script.

Posted by jayzen19:

Hello RSBarber

Thanks very much for your replies and put effort and time to replies my
    queries.

But I have some queries regarding your answers.

1. How it can done ? you said to capture and playback traffic directly
    at the gateway, ?

2.How to extrapolate the time difference between the traffic from load
    generation tool to gateway vs wireless device to the gateway. ?

RSBarber ,I am providing u some more details.

First wireless device (i.e FEX21 ) connecting to Apollo VPN server
    throgh Vodaphone GPRS/GSM network and that Apollo VPN server connect to
    Advantex server.

All this connection from FEX21 to Advantex server is throgh TCP/IP
    protocol.

[This message has been edited by RSBarber (edited 02-16-2003).]
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Refer to the attached doc (with a graphic).

Essentialy what you see is the load generation environment sending wireless traffic via internet to the wireless gateway - the gateway is the where the wireless traffic becomes wired.

How do you do that? Well, I really don't know. Do you own the gateway or does Vodaphone or someone else. Who is the service provider for the device? They are the ones you have to work with. They can provide you with times for download from the tower based on file size, signal strength, and current number of users (now, they probably won't WANT to, but that is another issue all together). Determining the amount of time spend between the load generation machine and the gateway is simple - just stick a timer in the logs of the gateway - all it is (essentially) is a fancy web server.

As far as capturing the traffic - you can either record the decrypted bitcode (not as realistic) south of the gateway - OR you can just write the scripts manually. Get a developer to show you the specs on the protocol - writing your own scripts and handling functions for wireless devices is really not that bad (unless it's encrypted). The protocols, by definition, have to be short and to the point.

------------------
    Scott Barber, Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com