Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Please help me with Database performance testing

Hello!

I have an application and management wants me to performance test it's database. How do I track down the testable code? I Could read it from Java-side, but if i want exactly the SQL what application executes on Oracle server, how do I capture it? I've heard about SQL_TRACE and tkprof and other tools, but I understand that these are only valid in same session. Should I add code to the application under test to set the SQL_TRACE on? or Can I set tracing outside a applications session??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Please help me with Database performance testing

can you explain what is your requirement, if you need SQL,then you can get it from application code, if you need SP, then you can have it from Database.but again all these depends on what functionality you have under scope for testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My requirement consists of several critical use-cases wich performance should be validated against performance requirements with different loads and volumes.

Yes, but if I read it from application code there are some dynamic parameters wich I can't possible know without
    executing the code. I think that SQL_TRACE is somekind of tool to find out exactly the SQL executed?? There can be also some O/R- spesific code wich I cant generate by hand to SQL.

how do I know witch user I am logged in database (that is different from application user ?)

Should I use instance level tracing?? But the problem here is that other testers are testing functional test and i do not want to confuse tracing information with them.

Thank you for your answer, hope this leads forward the discussion...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    My requirement consists of several critical use-cases wich performance should be validated against performance requirements with different loads and volumes.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i am not sure but your requirement suits more to the unit testing rather performance testing.i am assuming that you have enough experience in Performance testing.
    All your question are related to database admin side domain,based on your flavour of database,you can surely do google for them,MSSQL has sp_who Procedure,oracle has v$SESSION table etc for giving you details.
    i suugest you to point all these question to your DBA who is the best person to guide you.

Check http://www.oreview.com/9604har.htm and it has all your answers.
    All the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Forgot to mention in case you do not have sufficient working understanding of oracle,i would suggest you to keep away from it as you are entering the area where parameters are highly dependent on each other and any installation or changes may screw the overallapplication behaviour.
    Inform your DBA about your every step.