SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Points for Confirmed Friends

Estimating Hits per second.

Hello,
    Can some one get me a thumb rule to estimate the hits per second given the number of users. Our system has to support 1000 users I planning for a load test.

thanks,
    Niroop

------------------

[This message has been edited by qualityserv (edited 07-09-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Estimating Hits per second.

There is no rule of thumb.
    Check out this interesting article by Steven Splaine who quite clearly explains what factors come in to plan when modelling the real world for Load Testing Web Sites. AFter reading this I am cretain that you would agree that there is no rule of thumb.

http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide....ObjectType=ART

------------------
    Roland

[This message has been edited by rstens (edited 07-09-2002).]
    Roland Stens

I know what you mean. Lets Talk about the reality at work. I have to prove to the upper management this is what we are expecting and this is what our application is supporting in terms of hits per sec.

------------------

Good Point, But we will try to generate those hits per second when doing the most bussiness critical transactions.

thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Check out the included file.

The spreadsheet contains a very rough approx. method. Maybe it is enough to give a first idea.

BTW, Hits to the web server become less important if you move away from pure content to web applications. With web applications I am more concerned about my Business layer servers and database server.

------------------
    Roland

[This message has been edited by rstens (edited 07-09-2002).]
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I makes much more sense to define a site's performance in terms of business transaction rate.

Not sure what your site does, but for e.g. if you're selling something, you might have 2 typical transactions:
    1) browse for a product
    2) buy a product
    Model your tests and results around the rate at which these happen, the average pages visited in each, and the length of time taken for each.

This will be easier for management to understand too - saying the site can support 100 browses and 10 buys per hour is more meaningful than the number of hits.

------------------

Folks, Thanks for all the ideas, but let me rephrase my question !!! How does the web performance analysts do a capacity planning for sites like yahoo and amazon, I am sure when they build a web server farm they will think about hits/per that the web farm is supposed to support but not the number of browsers and the number of buys(ofcourse these numbers make the bussiness people happy as mentioned above but not the technical people). thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm having the same problem we need details about user preformance on site like hotmail or aNY EMAIL site how many emails open pere hour sending login and so

------------------