Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Monitoring and interpretation

I've kind of inherited testing tool (never been used in my company before) that is Rational VU's. My biggest challenge was to configure tool and Websphere to be able to run VU's without failures. NOW I need to
    find out what and how monitor performance to pinpoint weaknesses and bottlenecks off the app. Well I imagine that there are certain "standard" parameters that everyone is checking when testing performance of an
    internet application and that is a root of my question.
    I would like to know what are you using to monitor your app:
    Is anyone using:
    TestManager reports? there is lot of info but what is basic and REALLY useful
    NT/2000 - Performance monitor ?
    Websphere's - Resource Analyser ?
    Any other tool ?
    In short my application is similar to e-commerce app. Collecting items in the basket and at the end submits all of them with verification. It is intended to run on both intranet and internet. Tests will be done
    using emulations speeds: 28.8, 33.6, 56, DSL and T1. Stakeholders main concern is time to load entire page and submit time.
    What is the most important to monitor and how to interpret the results.
    Any pointers or tips ?
    Cora B

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Monitoring and interpretation

<HTML>
    <BODY>
    It sounds like you are identifying a load test or what the response time is under various loads. Jeff Nyman wrote a nice thread about the load test at http://www.qaforums.com/boards/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000101.html

So in essence you will be looking at the user's experience in general. Some things to look as you stated are the page response times, query times or the time it takes to make a request to the database, if you specific times you may be able to monitor the amount of iterations that the users can go in a specific amount of time. Things like that....I think you will find one of the hardest things will be trying to figure how to simulate your users or the behaviour of a user.

I can't give you anymore specifics since I haven't ever used Rational, but I do use Performance Monitor for NT/2000 pretty extensively.
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

------------------