Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

freeware load test tools

Can anybody recommends me a freeware load test tool ?
    I have heard about Microsoft WAS but it seems to be fine only with Microsoft web Servers.
    Has anybody already used openSTA or PushToTest.com's Load tool ?

------------------

Points for Confirmed Friends

Re: freeware load test tools

Im using Open STA at the moment adn find it very good...

Depends how technical you are, but the tutorials and documentation is good...

If your application is a standard web app using HTTP and cookies etc this tool will do most of everything that the main tools do..

Ive used silk performer, loadrunner, Jmeter and Open STA, if your client is on a tight budget then this tool wins hands down....

------------------
    Martin Croft
    Select Red Ltd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok I'm trying openSTA. It looks good, but I already got some questions with that tool:
    - Where can I access the average response time to each transaction for my virtual users ?
    - Is it possible to obtain the performance results from the web server, like %CPU and %RAM occupied ? Does it depend on the web server ?
    - What are the hardware requirements for the use of the tool: for example the average client machine RAM and CPU per virtual users ?
    - Does this software permit to run non-HTTP scripts (like Telnet transactions) ?

Anybody openSTA user has an idea ??

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

------>Answers embedded in your post

Ok I'm trying openSTA. It looks good, but I already got some questions with that tool:
    - Where can I access the average response time to each transaction for my virtual users ?

----->There is a whole 'Results' section, this is explained very well in the Documentation

- Is it possible to obtain the performance results from the web server, like %CPU and %RAM occupied ? Does it depend on the web server ?

-----> There are 'collectors' which you can set up to obtain any Windows/Unix Performance measures. This is also documented.

- What are the hardware requirements for the use of the tool: for example the average client machine RAM and CPU per virtual users ?

---->Depends on the script, how much parsing you need to do etc. for PIII 600mhz 256mb, 100 vusers browsing would be an estimate.

- Does this software permit to run non-HTTP scripts (like Telnet transactions) ?

------>NO

Anybody openSTA user has an idea ??

------->There is a seperate OpenSTA topic on this web site but you need to read the documentation and experiment first, as the more detailed questions are usually answered but not the 'how do I find the 'results section' ? type of question.

Regards

Ian

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There's another tool by Microsoft ( it is more powerful that WAS) it is called Application Center Test (MACT). It’s part of Microsoft Visual Studio .NET. I am not sure if you can download it for free or for a demo…anyway here’s a link if you like to look at it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/te...apptesting.asp

Good Luck
    Imad

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian:
    ------>Answers embedded in your post

-----> There are 'collectors' which you can set up to obtain any Windows/Unix Performance measures. This is also documented.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One bit of advice if you have trouble with collectors on servers:

One problem I struggled with for awhile was getting the collectors to actually pull data from the servers. I ended up posting a help request to the open-sta users list and got the suggestion that I try mapping a share to the server. That did it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

in your original post you said Microsoft WAST can onle be used with Microsoft Web Servers.

You can actually use it with any web server. All the thing does is record and generate http traffic. However, the tool doesnt do a hell of a lot and is pretty limited.

There are however certain features that will only work with MS IIS.

------------------
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded