Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Middleware load testing tools

Needs your support ASAP

We have a middleware tool that does not have a web front end. My question is are there any performance tools out there that will test a middleware standalone application? Please do proved me with any help you can. we have silk performer in house but that would not allow me to run a load test with you a web front end.

I thank your support in advance

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Middleware load testing tools

what is your middleware?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The middleware functionality is basically a file transfer utility may the file be a XML formatt or may it be a HTTP format.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I can't help you. If the middleware were jolt or tuxedo you would be able to use your silkperformer (as long as you had a valid policy file). You may try recording at the tcp/ip level or perhaps get more information from your developers to what protocol is used in your "middleware"

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Most of the major performance testing tools have the capabilities of testing many of the individual components in a distributed environment. The basic premise is to understand the method of communication you need to use to interact with the particular component and the particular parameters that need to be passed in order to invoke the functionality. Scripts can be created by hand if you know the details of the conversation that needs to be implemented or someone familiar with the component can create a basic interface that you can perform a capture on.

------------------
    m_adcock
    Matthew Adcock
    RTTS - The Software Quality Experts
    360 Lexington Avenue, 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10017
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/matthewadcock/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well I am using Segue performer and It will not automatically generate the script recording all the functions. You are absolutely correct you need to maunally write a script. Is there a tool out there which would generate a script for you. May be i can use a smile script and do it the hard way by looking at the log files. Thank you for everyones support

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Please take a look at www.fiveninesolutions.com. Our product can help you in your test.

------------------
    Jonathan Sass
    VP Business
    Development
    Five Nine Solutions
    www.fiveninesolutions.
    com
    Jonathan Sass
    VP Business
    Development
    Five Nine Solutions
    www.fiveninesolutions.
    com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rajiv:
    Well I am using Segue performer and It will not automatically generate the script recording all the functions. You are absolutely correct you need to maunally write a script. Is there a tool out there which would generate a script for you. May be i can use a smile script and do it the hard way by looking at the log files. Thank you for everyones support

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LoadRunner can do this kinda. It will not do a record and playback, but there is a way to do custom requests that can work with the middleware. We do this for our business objects(XML messaging layer) in order to test them.

------------------
    Simple minds, Simple thoughts!

Doug
    I figure if you have the courage to get out of bed in the morning, then how bad can the day be.

Doug

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by allogene:
    LoadRunner can do ... We do this for our business objects(XML messaging layer) in order to test them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug,
    Could you give more details?
    Can you record something? Or should you code everything manually?

Yury
    Testing, Performance Testing, Performance Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Middleware testing can be tricky due to the lack of a UI and such. Any EJBs in the project? If your middleware were EJBs, I would recommend performance testing it with Bean-test from Empirix. JUnit can do functional testing only, but it is free. If there are no EJBs, you're left with the traditional system testing tools like e-Test Suite, Load Runner, QARun, etc.

-jason

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast