Crystal Performance Issues
I realize this is probably a stretch posting this here, but figured Id give it a shot, have gotten next to nowhere every where else ...
We are using Crystal 10.0.5.837 with .Net 1.1. and making use of the CrystalReportViewer in order to display reports via asp.net pages. There are several issues that I am seeing with this but the top two are:
1. Memory on the PageServer process continually grows with reports generated until the PageServerProcess eventually re-starts (memory never realeases) or becomes un-responsive
2. Report jobs on the page server show open until timeout value is reached.
The code in general terms is as follows:
1. Query CMS for parent folder id based on parent folder name.
2. Query CMS for report id by parent folder id, report name and SI_INSTANCE = 0.
3. Once report ID is obtained, obtain report source via PSReportFactory service, and OpenReportSource function which accepts report id as a parameter.
4. Append parameters via ParameterFields class.
5. Set ReportSource property of the CrystalReportViewer control to the report source obtained from 3 and the ParameterFieldInfo property of the CrystalReportViewer control to the ParameterFields that were set in 4.
6. On the page unload event the Dispose method of the CrystalReportViewer control is called, Logout and Dispose for the Session object, and GC.Collect.
Has anyone run into anything similar or have any suggestions that may help?
Re: Crystal Performance Issues
Ok, this may or may not help, so bear with me. I am using Crystal reports dev edition, 18.104.22.1684. We also distribute a viewer with our app, and I have found that it is painfully slow opening relatively simple reports where the data is not saved as part of the report. The reports are generated from local data, and the app and viewer is in C++ rather than .NET, basically by chucking a load of data into a proxy database and running a report against that database.
I noticed that the cause of the slowdown was the due to the 'Verify on first refresh' option being selected under File / Report options at the time the report was saved. Disabling this option changed the initial refresh time from about 3 mins to about 10 secs. I haven;t hit any memory leak issues as the report is fired up in its own process which terminates when the report is closed.
I guess you've already tried the business objects knowledge base?
Re: Crystal Performance Issues
Thx for the response ... we are not experiencing terribly slow response times (Personally I would still take issue with it given the nature of the app) 5 to 12 sec. We do have the Verify on first Refresh option selected, so I will have to gather some metrics playing around with some of the report specific options (Didn't think about those ... thx!). But, there is still the memory issue as well as why the report jobs stay open according to CMS until the idle timeout finally expires. [ QUOTE ]
I guess you've already tried the business objects knowledge base
[/ QUOTE ] Yup, and currently have a similar post open on their forum, but no responses as of yet ... Also, have a ticket open with BO, but I have a feeling the only thing that will get me is 'The issue is addressed in XI R2' or something similar.