Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to do Media Server Testing

Hi all,

can anybody help me in understanding as to how to test MediaServers.

(i.e.) In a web application we are running flash video files. What i am supposed to test is the load testing whether n number of users who are viewing this flash video files are getting same band width or not.

These flash video files are on Flash Media Servers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to do Media Server Testing

If I were going to do this, using my favorite automation tool (SilkTest), I'd set it up this way...

On each PC:

1) Start the browser.
    2) Start perfmon.
    3) Start the video playback.
    4) When finished, stop the perfmon logging and exit browser.

OK, now details... you need to become intimately familiar with perfmon. Learn how to set it up to do logging (i.e. start a log, with a given filename) and to log the appropriate parameters (presumably network parms).

This will get you one log file, for each run, for each PC. I use comma-delimited as they import nicely into Excel. Further analysis is up to you, but the data will be there...

The nice thing about this technique is it can be used to monitor lots of stuff, and is very handy in finding memory leaks.
    Dana Cline

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

LogicSmith,
    your advice would be helpful for measuring client performance. However, the original post was asking questions about load testing the server. That can't be done using GUI automation tools from a single desktop.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

if you want to test bandwidth requirement, then perfmon has the option for it,but doing it manually is not recommended way of doing this, i exactly dont remember there are tools which can do this and i have sometimes back read some article on this,
    google for it.if it downloading of flash fiiles than LoadRunner,Silkperformer and most of the tools will do this for you.