SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Points for Confirmed Friends

Performance testing with Grinder

Hi,
    we are going to test some performance with Grinder. It is the company's decision...

I don't know anything about the tool but I will probably get som help from the developers. But I have heard that this tool cannot measure actions in time. Is there anyone out there who can give me a tip on how to perceed. I'm thinking about a watch, working manually or automatically, to install. Not the computer watch... :-) A watch to integrate with the system... Well, I don't know - that's why I need you, guys!

Sorry for my poor english. I am not an english spoken person... Hopefully you will understand it anyhow.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Performance testing with Grinder

Hi,
    In order to perform the load test correctly the first stage is to chose the right tool, you need first to correlate the tool abilities to the system, you need a tool that can "listen" to the communication between the client and the server (I dont no which protocol you are using but i recommend you to work with the Load runner).
    the Load Runner can give you reliable information on your system base on the load you created and can measure your system on real time.
    Anyway tell me first what is the protocol your system is using and then we can proceed with the next stage.
    And from which country are you?

------------------

Points for Confirmed Friends

Anyway tell me first what is the protocol your system is using and then we can proceed with the next stage.
    And from which country are you?

Thank you for your reply!

I'm not sure about the protocol but it could be IIOP or EJB (if that counts as a protocol). In some cases we uses GUI (=TCP/IP).

And btw... I'm from Sweden... :-)

/ewwg

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    from my experience with load tools each load tool has the capability to collect different information based on the load you have created (using the load tool),
    for example: the Duration for each transaction,data from objects such as CPU,Memory,Database,Bandwidth.
    if the tool cant provide this kind of information i suggest you to find a different load tool, but if the tool can give you this information there is no problem to start planning the load tests.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

I'm a testing engineer from Spain. I'm using the Grinder for two months, more or less, to load and performance testing recently. Grinder gives you the time of every test you make. You can even wrap differents tests (http requests) and grinder give you the time it take in ms. You can take even from the data log or the mean time from the output log.
    Also you can take the Response time and the Time to first byte. Both measurements are used to performance testing.

I hope this helps.