Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rational Performance Studio vs Loadrunner

Hi
    Guys I have heard some pretty bad stuff about Performance studio. Currently we use and love Loadrunner I am being asked to evaluate Rationals Performance studio due to it being less costly. Can anyone give me why we should not use it. I am having some rational people come give us a demo and would love to have a list of questions to ask them
    Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Rational Performance Studio vs Loadrunner

Is Performance Studio that much less that your company can afford to dump the large Loadrunner investment? (I doubt it.) That ought to be the first consideration.

Second, if you are using and love Loadrunner, there needs to be consideration given to these facts.

1. You love it.
    2. Your staff is already trained up on it.
    3. You have scripts (scenarios) already built for it.

All of the above (and several other things) mean you shouldn't consider swapping tools unless the new one under consideration is *way* better. And I doubt any of them are that much better than the others to justify that move.

Moving to a new tool doesn't just entail the cost of the product. There are training costs. There are the problems and costs associated with hiring staff trained in its use. (Mercury has the largest market share, there will be more Mercury people to hire.) There are the problems and costs associated with staff dissatisfaction (dumping a tool they are comfortable with). There is the necessary cost of developing new scripts (scenarios). Etc. Etc.

Do your evaluation, but make sure all those hidden costs get brought up as well. Maybe you should first try to find out the real reason you are being asked to do this. Has the Mercury rep teed off someone high up in your organization? Has someone high up just been hired that has a vested interest in bringing in Rational? Doing that little bit of stealthy research may be very illuminating...

------------------
    Susan Gates
    Susan Gates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ask about support for varied protocols (not only what you currently use, but might be using in the future). I was able to show management running load scripts against our mainframe (using SNA). ALso, will the Rational tool record through NTLM? We had problems with Silk Performer is that regard.

Good luck. On the positive side, maybe you'll have the opportunity to learn a new tool and beef-up your resume.

What's really motivating your company's desire to switch?

Jerry

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Please talk to silk performer 4.5 evaluation copy .I bet you would like the user friendlyness and at the same time amazingly powerful of Silk.
    I have tried many performance tools which either they are lacking customization or not user friendly. But Silk performer is an exception.Please look at the Polls.

------------------
    Suswaram Radha
    Suswaram Radha