Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What are the guidelines for Increasing the Load ( VUsers)

Does any one have guidelines.

How To Increase Load for running a scenario?

Usually I start with 1 VUser then I run the same scenario for 5 VUsers, then 10, then 20, 30 .... moves on as per the requirements say client wanted to run a scenario for 100 Users.

I am looking for the steps to increase the load

Is 1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 ... is correct
    or
    Is 1, 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100 is correct

Any guidelines - On what factor I should step or decide this

Pl. provide

Govind

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What are the guidelines for Increasing the Load ( VUsers)

Hi,
    Typically, you are looking for a linear increase in response times vs number of concurrent users.

Any non-linear increse in response time may indicate a bottleneck or scalability limit with your Application under test or its environment.

So, you should step up 'linearly' during your test scenario. You can do this by increasing the load in the same test scenario by using the scheduler app in LoadRunner.

Note: You should provide enough iterations so the initial users don't finish before the last group are running.

By doing this during the same sceario you can set up to release an extra 10 users every x minutes or seconds until you hit your desired target.

Hope this helps,
    David

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with Dave except that I am not fond of iterations unless I am just loading down the server. I prefer to send X users per second vs. minutes to truly see performance results and where bottlenecks lie in the application and server setups.

------------------
    -- Mike --
    -- Mike --

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with Dave and Mike (Hi Mike!) - except:

I like to have at least one test where there is enough data to iterate such that when at peak loading - you can sustain that peak load for at least 20 minutes in order to give servers enough time to thrash through firing up the required processes and/or threads as a result of the demands of your scenario. You want the system(s)-under-test to be stable.

(Of course this all depends on what questions you are trying to answer with your test(s)).

------------------
    Jim Pensyl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Jim is right, you need to do a stable test over and above stepping up users but 20 mins will probably only find disk q'ing problems and similar. I would do 3 hrs to look for memory leakage and database concurrency issues if this is a web app (as opposed to a web site).

------------------
    http://www.4qa.co.uk