Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Newbie question - Load test using functional tests

Hello, I am still relatively new at testing, and apologize for what is most likely a dumb question. I am working for a very small company, and we are using a certain testing suite that will not allow us to use our functional test scripts in the load testing module.

Is there an advantage / disadvantage to using the exact same test cases in load testing the software as used in the functional tests?

I can not think of a reason why I would need to use the same tests, however the boss thinks that we would need to use the same scripts.

Thanks,
    Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Newbie question - Load test using functional tests

Does your boss wish to simulate end-users or testers? There is a huge difference. If one did use these AND the test scripts were robust then the software must pass most if not all functional tests. While we would like all functional tests to have passed prior to performance testing, it is just not very likely in typical performance testing situations. It is far more likely that Toby Keith will tour with the Dixie Chicks and B Spears would open for them. The scripting effort would be enormous. You would need to train your grandchildren.

There are very few advantages to using functional test scripts in a performance test. And actually, I can think of only one advantage:

1. Do not script but rather use as a reference when you cannot get other materials necessary to guide you through the scripting of business processes/workflows.