Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Client applications(EJB)

Hi All,
    I am looking for right test tool(s), to help me to test a client based application. The system is very large and complex. We are using Rational products(such as:SQARobot)but no luck so far.We tried everything we could think of.

Details of product are:
    a client based application,
    3 tier-java applets,EJB's on weblogic,oracle8i on unix
    25 test cases covering most of the load areas
    results required for upto 2000 users.

Please,if you know any tools that is suited for such testing let me know.

thanx
    toni

------------------
    toni
    toni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Client applications(EJB)

Loadrunner.

------------------
    -- Mike --
    -- Mike --

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you Mike,
    Have you worked with this tool,what do you think of it?

cheers
    toni

------------------
    toni
    toni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You should also take a look at WebLoad. I know it can handle EJB's in many cases.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Toni,

Segue offers two tools that could help you out (depending on what you are trying to test). If you are looking to test/validate the 3-tier architecture, SilkPilot can help you there. If you are looking to load and performance test the system, SilkPerformer is our offering for load/performance testing. I work for Segue - so will admit to bias - but both of these products are very strong, market-leading solutions.

For more information:
    SilkPilot: http://www.segue.com/html/s_solution...t_overview.htm

SilkPerformer: http://www.segue.com/html/s_solution..._performer.htm

You can also contact us at 1-800-287-1329 or by submitting our information request form: http://www.segue.com/html/s_solutions/s_info_form.htm

Good Luck!
    Heidi Gilmore
    Segue

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toni:
    Hi All,
    I am looking for right test tool(s), to help me to test a client based application. The system is very large and complex. We are using Rational products(such as:SQARobot)but no luck so far.We tried everything we could think of.

Details of product are:
    a client based application,
    3 tier-java applets,EJB's on weblogic,oracle8i on unix
    25 test cases covering most of the load areas
    results required for upto 2000 users.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think to get a better answer to your question, we'd need to know:

1) What do you mean by "client-based application"? Do you mean you are only testing the client portion of a client/server application?

2) What failed with the Rational products? Since most of the major test tools are very similar, they share many of the same weaknesses. If you could be more specific about what didn't work, we may be able to recommend a tool that could do better.

3) This forum is primarily for performance and load testing, but SQARobot is not a load testing tool. Perhaps that's the confusion? Are you interested in performance/load testing, or functional testing?

-joe

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 05-17-2001).]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toni:
    Thank you Mike,
    Have you worked with this tool,what do you think of it?

cheers
    toni
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Toni, I have been working with loadrunner for about 2 1/2 years. Like any software it is only as good as the person using it. It is a very expensive tool but I personally swear by it. It has also made me a lot of money!!! Try it, you'll like it.

------------------
    -- Mike --
    -- Mike --

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Joe,
    You are right, I should say more about our product. Our software is an Internet Cardroom game. (For example, Poker game).

The development part is mostly done, now we need to test the product (Functional, Load, Performance, Stress and etc.)

1) What do you mean by "client-based application"? Do you mean you are only testing the client portion of a client/server application?

What I meant by Client-based application is that our software works independent of any Browser, so the customer can download the software in his/her computer and start playing the game. Most of the activities
    done in the server side.

2) What failed with the Rational products? Since most of the major test tools are very similar, they share many of the same weaknesses. If you could be more specific about what didn't work, we may be able to recommend a tool that could do better.

In one setup:
    5 players play the game, the messages goes back and forth between the clients and the server, every action that is taking by players are recorded in the db.
    When we record and play back, we get two different results.(for example,we recorded 4Kings and one Ace.The play back shows something different)

Thank you all for the responds

------------------
    toni

[This message has been edited by toni (edited 05-17-2001).]
    toni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OK, I'm guessing that the problem is a fundamental one:

You recorded a script, you play it back, and something different happens, and your script calls it an error.

If there is randomness in your application (as I suspect must be true for a "card-playing" game), then you cannot take such an approach to test automation.

Imagine 5 human users of your system. If they played 2 different rounds would they expect to get the exact same cards each time? Unless you have a way to reseed the system each time - of course not.

The tool may not be the problem here.

Perhaps you need to rethink your test harness strategy. I strongly suspect that a simple record-and-playback model cannot work for you.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Joe,
    thank you for the respond,do you have any sugesstion to regard to how I should approach this problem.

thank you
    toni

[This message has been edited by toni (edited 05-22-2001).]
    toni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast