Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Performance Test Team

Hi guys.
    I'w working in a project to build a Performance Test area independet of technology. The idea is to assist many projects for different environments as Mainframe, SAP, Java, etc.
    I have some question and I'd like your help.
    1 - How is a team of performance test composed?
    2 - Which skills should be necessary for each team member?
    3 - What are the roles and responsibilities of each team member?
    4 - Is Performance testing team responsible for pointing the performance specific problems such as: database access, infrastructure, link performance, or just identify the application with problem ?

Thanks and Regards
    Edson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Performance Test Team

As you said "independent of technology," I presume you mean that the performance testers don't necessarily have subject matter expertise (or at least in-depth knowledge) of each of the technology platforms they will performance test against.

If this is the case, then the team you are looking to setup would likely be experienced with test methods, scripting and the overall process of performance testing. I have often seen this type of setup, where they are a Jack-of-all-trades, with specific coding/script/tool knowledge.

This approach lends itself to the performance test team as a conduit to problem identification and reporting against business requirements, largely dependent on technical subject matter experts for root cause analysis and fixes. In essence, the performance test team reports the problem, and it is the responsibility of the subject matter experts to fix it. In practise, the PT team often makes recommendations and focuses the fix effort, but it's really up to the experts to fix.

With this approach, the team would ideally have an understanding of the core technologies involved and a blend of specific knowledge for a number of the technologies involved. It is imperative though, that they are primarily experienced (performance) testers with some kind of technical background in (at least) one of the technologies involved.

There are other models, but this one is the most common I've been involved with. Other members might (almost certainly will) have different experiences and suggestions.
    You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks from yous explanation, but as I was doing some research about this issue, I found some careers as Performance Engineer, Performance Architect, Performance Analyst, Performance Tester, Capacity Manager, etc. My question is:
    1 - What is the difference between these careers?
    2 - What are the roles and responsibilities of each one?
    3 - What they need to know (skills)?

Regards
    Edson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Edson,

You may find the discussion under this link to be of some use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Umm... That's kinda like saying "I'm thinking about building a Zoo. I have limited money, space and resources, but I'm not going to tell you what those limits are. I've also already decided where I'm going to put the Zoo and I'm not going to tell you that either. Please tell me how many of which animals I should plan for."

Not trying to be snide, but this one isn't far behind "I just got assigned to be the performance tester for my team. I don't know anything about performance testing. Tell me everything I need to know to be successful. Please keep it to 100 words or less and make it so I can master my new job in 24 hours or less. Oh yeah, I need this ASAP, I'm not willing to pay for it, I'm not going to follow any links you post and I'm going to post rude responses if I don't get what I want within the hour."

If you can be more specific, maybe someone here can help you. If your question is really that vague, I seriously recommend finding some money to either hire someone who has built such a team before or bring in a consultant for a few weeks to help you get a handle on the task.
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Scott, did you mean to reply to Edson? It looks like you are replying to me?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry, the reply was to Edson (the original post).

I keep forgetting that this forum doesn't really "thread".
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I did a simple questions about Performance test carreer.
    I found the answers.
    Thanks GoogleMonster. Your answer was very helpfully.
    Rgds