Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

performance testing & monitoring

Hi,

This is the "forever dilemma". There's million things that could be monitored but there's no sense of monitoring everything. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If my system is normal 3-tier application:

WEBSERVER: Linux running Apache
    APPSERVER: Solaris9 running BEA Weblogic (8.2 I think)
    DB SERVER: HPUX running Oracle

Where could I find a good list of monitors that I could use basically for all servers such as:
    - CPU usage
    - MEM usage
    - DISK usage
    - NETWORK usage

I recall that there was some list here in SQA Forums but I can't find it now.

How about Apache, Weblogic and Oracle monitoring? Has anyone experience of these? I'll do the monitoring with SiteScope and I'm not sure what kind of license we have, so we might not be able to monitor Weblogic & Oracle stats...

But thanks in advance to you all! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: performance testing & monitoring

Few metrics are kind of mandatory, like CPU, MEM etc, Many would able to provide generic input & most online list are indicative but you need to consider following while you decide monitoring list for your project

Objective of tests
    Past performance defects if any
    Type of tuning carried out if any
    Input / discussion from infrastructure team
    Input / discussion from architecture and development team

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

SiteScope is not a good tool when monitoring during perfomance test. You need a higher granularity of your measurements. Use the native monitoring facilites for the OS, Database, app server etc.
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

SiteScope can also be configured for < 1 min polling interval.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

WEBSERVER: Linux running Apache
    APPSERVER: Solaris9 running BEA Weblogic (8.2 I think)
    DB SERVER: HPUX running Oracle

For oracle you can used statspack or write custom packages which can go deep inside the queries,
    HPUX- mpstat,iostat,sar,vmstat assuming that its HPUX is kind of version of unix.

APPSERVER-lots og things are there like throughput,connection,queues depending on what you have on app server.

Linux-mpstat,iostat,sar,vmstat assuming that its HPUX is kind of version of unix.

Apache-Maybe you can google for it.

Sitescope will give you more than all these things to the finer level,but you need to configure it correctly and make sure to give proper setting.Just have a look at the templates it have and select the counters required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ive been using Loadrunner diagnostics through a POC and was able to link the top level cpu or memory intensive process back to the transactions generating the load within loadrunner.... its pretty impresive and I would liek to see other products that could do this.

AppSight is another that allows for very in depth monitoring but as kukasillea has described unless you are gunning for a particular issue any intensive monitoring is goign to put artificial load on your servers therefore messing your results.....

All interesting stuff....
    Martin Croft
    Select Red Ltd