Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cost of Performance test tools?

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, a comparison of the cost of performance test tools?
    We have been using Loadrunner with 100 vusers, for approx 5 years and we're looking to try and find something with cheaper support costs, monitors, extra vusers etc.
    To begin with, I'd ideally like a rough estimate of the initial cost of purchasing the equivalent tool from Compuware and maybe Rational. I'm keen to avoid talking to their sales departments to gain this info as I don't wish to be pestered by them in the future, I've made this mistake before!
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Cost of Performance test tools?

Depending on what exactly you use your tool for, MS VSTS is a very nice cost effective solution.
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the reply. We use Loadrunner to test mainly web based java applications. Any idea of the cost of the MS tool?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I once calculated that for under $10,000 US + the costs of machines you'll be able to simulate 1000-2000 users.

Compare that to LR!
    I actually met the people who are developing this tool and they are some of the most committed developers that I have ever met. They went to great lengths talking to perfomance testers, the performance testing community and included their feedback into the product. There is a new version upcoming, which has greatly improved.

This tool works best in an all MS environment, but it can deal with any web based application. There is no support for other protocols beyond http/https yet.

The good thing is that for a scripting language you use C# or VB.NET.
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

WebLOAD Professional is a 10 years old tool with more than 1600 customers like Bank of America, MSNBC, Nortel..
    The cost of this tool is significantly cheeper than other tools in the market.
    Check it out at www.radview.com
    BTW - there is also a free open source version of WebLOAD at Sourceforge.net

GL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

'Webload open source' would be the good solution. But it has limitations like for distributed load testing we have to go for professional version.

With webload you can easily call the java classes from the script. The scripting is based on JavaScript. Your application is based on Java and webload is a free tool, you can very well have try on it.
    Morty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello,
    If your budget is very short and depending on your needs you can check for OpenSTA at opensta.org
    Except for the cost of the machines and the time needed for writing scripts it has no other cost in licencing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello,
    I would be very interested if any of you had made a little study on this topic. Also if you have any idea which evaluation criteria should be part of larger study, it would be welcomed! I know Forrester has this king of spreadsheet evaluation tool for test automation, but i cannot find it for free...
    I have to make a study for my company in order to replace Performance Center for another better (and cheaper!) tool. Any idea of a list?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Since you are using PerformanceCenter, you are operating in the rarified atmosphere of Multi-user, multi-protocol, multi-concurrent test controller test tools. Your best bet is to call the other commercial vendors and see what they have in the way of a peer utility set with a single unified interface. This puts you into Borland and Compuware for calls first, followed likely by WebLoad.

When you move to a cheaper tool, make sure you are not just taking a balloon and squeezing one end of it (pricing) and moving the air to the other end (services hours), for if so you wind up with no cost savings overall. And if your variable cost per hour of labor is high, you might well be more expensive on a per test basis with a less expensive tool. You are also going to find the same challenges in the analysis side where free tools are going to ask you to spend a lot of engineering hours building analysis which meets the same level as the existing commercial tools - It is unlikely your end customers are going to be willing to take a step backwards on analysis and presentation of results.

Your best bet. Whatever you decide to evaluate, trial run it side-by-side with your current tool on an upcoming project. Take a look at the deltas in both hours and functionality. Assign a value to those differences (be it positive or negative) and size it up how it measures to your current tool. Do not forget to take into account training and other deployment costs into your switchover model, since you will need to identify a return on investment for your move. You will also take an efficiency hit for your first couple of projects and you "think in one tool and transpose to another..." Viewing the tools natively tends to arrive in the third project out of the gate. Plan for this in your deliverables.

Just food for thought.

'Pulley
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1) I've stayed close to this question for the last 5 years.
    2) Prices and pricing models change SOOO often, and with many companies are so dependent on how desperate the sales rep is to make their quota (i.e. I've seen price swings of +/- 40% based on how desperate the sales rep is for some companies) that it is impossible to say.
    3) Due to the different pricing models it's *really* hard to make a general side-by-side comparison.

That said:

- HP/Mercury LoadRunner, IBM/Rational RPT, and Empirix eLoad are all about the same price.
    - Borland/Segue SilkPerformer is about 3/4 of those
    - I've never been able to get a handle on Compuware's pricing model.
    - Radview seems to be in the same ballpark as Borland for the enterprise version of their tool.
    - The MS tool has targeted both a different pricing model (per CPU rather than per VU) and a price of roughly the same as the annual maintenance fees for LoadRunner.
    - OpenSTA is, well, free, so are things like HTTPUnitPerf.
    - There are a gazillion others, but for the most part, they are niche/specialty tools that you'd have asked about if they were relevant to your comparison.
    - LISA recently announced that they have performance testing capabilities now... I haven't tried them and have no idea what they cost.

Naturally, that is purchase price I'm talking about. I can't estimate for you the loaded costs including training/re-training, different hardware requirements, etc.
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast