Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you didn\'t have all the money in the world...

...what load testing tool would you use?

Ok, the topic itself says it all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I can't afford LoadRunner although I like the tool... but so does almost everybody.

Let's assume this scenario. You have a web application that uses HTTP/HTTPS and you want to test the web application with reasonably heavy load let's say 2500 VUs.

What I've been evaluating so far is:

JMeter
    OpenSTA
    WAPT 4.0 (not freeware, but cheap-ware [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Ok, the most of my time has been FOR NOW with JMeter. At first it was quite HC but now I'm starting to understand it's nature. But boy... this is a memory-eater!
    I'm now running it on Win XP and I was thinking that will it perform any better with same HW but Linux instead.

OpenSTA is somewhat familiar to me, but has it gone forward since 2005? I personally don't like the scripting since it's like LoadRunners URL-based scipting which is very annoying.

WAPT4.0 was interesting for 10 minutes until I noticed that it was quite "crashy" and the scripting is way too simple for more complex activities - I want to create exceptions and checks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm silly that way.

I haven't tried the Grinder since I have doubts that it gives me nothing new compared to JMeter...

Then there is Compuware's QALoad but... guess what? It's too expensive for me too.

If anyone has good success stories of generating relatively "big boy" tests with sth else than LoadRunner (SILK is also out of my category) I'd be happy to hear about that! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mainly I'm just looking a tool that has enough horsepower to generate my ~2500VU load and give me response times, throughput and maybe hits/sec or pages/sec. Other monitoring will be done without the load tool... I'll just view the logs from the server(s) after the load scenario is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: If you didn\'t have all the money in the world.

I have used OpenSTA for years and like it. No it hasn't progressed much in recent years, but it is still maintained.

You might have problems running 2500 VU's with JMeter (OpenSTA has a C++ core that uses native threads, while JMeter is pure Java).
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So how much money do you have?
    Microsoft VSTS might be an alternative for you.
    For your requirement, you would probably be able to get something running for under $10,000 instead of $400,000 for LR.

Roland Stens
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well of course I do have all the money in the world...
    ... and still I like to use OpenSTA.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually I had a look of OpenSTA today and it seemed quite ok tool. And Joe, nice blog + nice toolbox - you just made it to my bookmarks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I still kinda like JMeter too. I wish someone would make like a CMeter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that'd look like JMeter. + it'd have HTTPS recording available also AND that it'd use native threads.

Still about openSTA - there are few things that make me wonder... When I select the browser (IE 6.0) the script says in the beginning IE5.0 and it also says HTTP1.0... well, maybe I shouldn't worry too much since it seemed to work.

===

Ok, this following should go to the OpenSTA thread, but I can't be bothered [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ->

What I usually do in LoadRunner... I record a HTML-based script (I basically never use the URL-based) and I check the correctness of the response by doing a text check like

if (strcmp(lr_eval_string("{my_count}"), "0") == 0) ...
    LR_PASS or LR_FAIL (I never use the LR_AUTO)

And I do this same in OpenSTA with the

LOAD RESPONSE_INFO BODY ON 1 INTO ...

And it seems to work ok. The things that I wonder is that since OpenSTA record like URL-based script, ie. it records every picture... would a good load tester check the pics also? What would be the most reasonable way to verify that the requested page was loaded 100% successfully?

The other thing I wonder is these DISCONNECT-statements it puts there... I was toying around today and I replaced all the disconnects and put them at the end of the script and it was faster. Is this DISCONNECT similar than LoadRunners WEB_CONCURRENT_START & _END function?

And can I end a timer with FAIL status in OpenSTA?