Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Object Serialization using Java 1.1.8

We have a Java application that sits on the desktop and we want to run a performance test. It communicates with the server using Java Object Serialization. Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Are there any recommended products to use?

The problem I have run up against is finding a product that supports object serialization and Java 1.1.8. After playing with several products nothing appears to work out of the box.

There is also the possibility that I may need to plug-in a custom API to translate these Serialised Objects, as they have been customised for this application. Do any of the load testing products allow you to add custom plug-ins? If so do any of the usual products have any advantage/disadvantage over the others?

Any info or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Object Serialization using Java 1.1.8

[ QUOTE ]
    We have a Java application that sits on the desktop and we want to run a performance test. It communicates with the server using Java Object Serialization. Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Are there any recommended products to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Write your own, it will be easier.

[ QUOTE ]

The problem I have run up against is finding a product that supports object serialization and Java 1.1.8. After playing with several products nothing appears to work out of the box.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And likely nothing will. Write your own. We typically call these custom harnesses from a tool like Robot, so we have fine grained control over transaction rates.

[ QUOTE ]

There is also the possibility that I may need to plug-in a custom API to translate these Serialised Objects, as they have been customised for this application. Do any of the load testing products allow you to add custom plug-ins?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Robot does, but don't ask me how to do it.

[ QUOTE ]

If so do any of the usual products have any advantage/disadvantage over the others?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will find two responses to this question:

1. Of course! It's [insert the name of the tool I use here].

or

2. A tool is a tool. I don't care who makes my hammer, as long as I can pound nails.

I fall into the later category. Any of the premier tools will likely do the job for you - and so will a couple of the free ones, I suspect. You will definitely have to write either a plug in or a test harness though. If you focus on a quick and dirty app that can send messages from the command line, you can let all the nasty performance work be handled by your load testing tool.
    1. 9.5
    2. Web/HTTP (HTML mode)
    3. No
    5. None
    6. New
    7. Web 5800
    Network 1000
    DCOM 1000
    Oracle 1000
    Remote Access 1000
    8. Yes
    9. Windows Server 2003 SP1
    10. No

What Everyone Should Read Before Asking For Help on the Internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Object Serialization using Java 1.1.8

Both LoadRunner and Rational (at least some time ago) allows to write scripts in Java (with the proper license), so you may just insert your API calls. You can find a few words about that in my paper http://www.stpmag.com/issues/stp-2005-10.pdf (pp.22-30).