Thread: WAN emulation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

WAN emulation

Hi folks, new to this forum but threads look very interesting so far!

I'm looking for anyone with experience of commercial WAN emulators - need to emulate satellite links before we sink into field trials. Tried open source (e.g. WANem) but testing this side showed...unusual results.

Anyone used the likes of Shunra or JAR Technologies before, or any other ones? Don't need major throughput (max. 2 Mbps) and would be looking to keep costs down.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: WAN emulation

I have used different pieces of the Shunra solution set over the past decade and a half. I have found them relatively easy to use and providing a high value on the output, assuming you have the information on the interface you're attempting to model. You're likely looking at the smallest chassis model from Shunra. I would contact one off their VARs to see if you can engage them with a short term gig including the impairment chassis. I don't have any information on JAR.

WanEM is a very different animal than any of the commercial solutions out there. I have found that it works quite well for a developer who wants to tune down the interface to check the performance of a particular set of code, but I have not found it to work very well under load. The whole deployment model in a virtual machine is a bit problematic for me as impairment requires a very precise system clock, something which is impossible in a software virtual machine.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: WAN emulation

Hi Chris,

We used Packetstorm up until 2010, when we switched over to JAR tech's Shamrock (named for the U.S. market I suspect !!).

The JAR Tech equipment has worked well for us and is used on a weekly basis most of the time. The trick is to start using it right from the get-go, not to leave it until you're near field trials. 2 big plus's for us: razor sharp accuracy and very nice UI - drag and drop the impairment onto links, synch to pick up. All common features you'd expect and advanced ones such as filtering, scheduling etc. all there.

I don't personally see much in terms of it's reporting, but will assume it does what it needs to for the QA team. Price was a big decider for us (these days who is this not a big deal for ??) with the JAR Tech equipment coming v competitive and delivering the same or better. And maintenance issues have been zero [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We did look at Shunra when we were evaluating but their price range was considerably higher and we could not identify any key reasons to over-spend.

My 2 pence worth, hope it helps!

Henry