Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

help. newbie advice on load testing

Hi.

Im going to try and not bore you to death but i have recently had to start looking at capacity planning for an application we have that delivers media.

We have ways of testing the application itself, using user recipes and open sourced tools.

problem we have is that the hardware is rarely scaled out properly as different services come on line and just as we get to a steady state another bottle neck appears etc (there are a lot of problems to address).

problem i have is that the tools i use give a way of stress testing the front end, but for example we have a licensing server, and i would like to know how to work out its max capacity in terms of TPS. but i cant find an open source tool or indeed any tool that allows me to direct calls at an individual server and stress test it. if that makes sense.

im very new to this and im trying to work out how i can look at the different servers we have and the expected load it can handle so i can set thresholds in monitoring etc to help plan out from forecasts.

any help or suggestions are highly appreciated.

cheers

itcher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: help. newbie advice on load testing

[ QUOTE ]

or indeed any tool that allows me to direct calls at an individual server and stress test it. if that makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have exhausted the capabilities of many of the tools you are looking at. I would encourage you to take a look at the commercial tool front as many of these tools support direct API level construction of virtual users. LoadRunner, as an example here, allows for the creation of virtual users in Visual Studio using C or VB. Assuming your license server allows for the creation of direct clients in visual studio....well...you can see the jump here.

If your licensing server has libraries for other languages, Perl, Java, .... then you will have other options available to you to leverage, including some open source tools which support just those languages.

If you need to engage in architectural performance testing where your application architectural components support a wide variety interfaces then you may need to consider a commercial tool as these tools have the engineering behind them for the development of the specialized recording and development tools to support such interfaces. Here's where a ROI discussion with your business owner will be extremely valuable when looking at your tool options.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thank you james, looking at it i think loadrunner may be the best option all around.

cheers for taking the time to run through that with me.

best regards,

ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Having multiple options does provide the best negotiating leverage if you are going to head the commercial route. While LoadRunner is one option, I would encourage you to investigate the offerings from Microfocus (SilkPerformer/QALoad) and IBM (Rational) as a sanity check to ensure that you have the optimal solution set for your technical and organization needs.

Likewise if an open source solution set exists which supports your interfaces, be sure and include those options in your evaluation. This should help you immensely when it comes to presenting the business case for your decision as well as not having your purchase organization try to introduce a "peer product replacement" where the peer may not meet the specific needs in this case.

'Pulley
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes