Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Analysis of Performance results.

Hi Friends,

Here is the scenario: I was given a XYZ web-application to load/performace test.

--> To come up with result/report giving them Concurrent/simultaneous number of users that current system configuration will support.

--> The only feature I had to consider was “Registration of a new user” and also the time limit was set, lets say: Registration should be done within ‘S’ seconds.

I did the test came up with a result and informed them: This current configuration will allow ‘Val’ number of concurrent users to register simultaneously and that too within the time constraint i.e. ‘S’

Note: Here I did not find any “Hardware” related saturation.

I had done this Load test with single test machine with OpenSTA installed on it.

Then I was given a new configuration, IBM HS 22 Blade server which was 10 times better than the previous one, I repeated the Load test process, and again got the same result.

Okay,so I do understand that the point of bottleneck is in the application… but telling them just that much, won’t be enough. Please if you can suggest from your experience what all problem there can be from application’s side that would effect the performance. Application is in ASP.NET, with database on SQL Server.

I tried to make the value of “Worker process” for application to the number of CPUs(I think it ran than number of instances of Application to serve parallel users), but then the application when ran manually did not perform correctly, It logged me off every time I refresh the page. May be instances were many but session created at server was one. Not sure of the other settings required to make. Also if a DBA can tell me the settings needed to be done for SQL Server database’s improved performance.

Thanks in advance,
    -Mash

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Analysis of Performance results.

[ QUOTE ]

Note: Here I did not find any “Hardware” related saturation.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There's the issue. If you don't have any hardware bottlenecks then the issue is probably locks or queues of some sort. This could be caused by indices on the wrong fields in the database, too few channels between tiers, too few workers processing queues.

Go through perfmon and live-monitor every relevant counter with a lock or a queue in its name. Also look for any graphs which show a plateau, but keep in mind that correlation does not imply causation.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also if a DBA can tell me the settings needed to be done for SQL Server database’s improved performance.

[/ QUOTE ]
    In my experience it's usually not a matter of database server settings, but database design.

You can look at all kinds of database stats in perfmon, and use Microsoft's SQL trace tool to find out which queries are running the slowest and causing the most reads (during a manual test), but it's best if you're actually sat with a DBA or ideally the developer who wrote the thing, who can interpret the figures and make the necessary changes. It could be something as simple as an index on the wrong thing or as complex as an exercise in normalization.
    04h