Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How I made a application Testable for Performace?

Hi to all,

I have readed a good article in a zine of "Software Test and Performance" about the need to make applications more Testable....

I have a little experience in performance so I would know what you think people (with more experience on performance) about this:

Do you have a guidelines to make more testable application for Performance?

Thanks in advance

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How I made a application Testable for Performace?

Hi,

I don't have a written guideline. I can think of many aspects that can make the application more testable for performance, the most critical, in my opinion,are:

1. Enable easier simulation of the real workload generated against the application. For some applications most workload is generated through the user activity against the UI, in others it is events or batch processes running periodically. You need to mimic those somehow and your development team can assist a lot doing so

2. Build custom monitors oriented for the application logic. Many times, monitoring in operating system level only or even in other layers (e.g. app server, database) is not good enough to unerstand what happened and what is the root cause of a bottleneck. If your development team will build application oriented sensors, you will be able to correlate data you measure with this info and by that track issues faster

As I said, there are others, but these are the basics. By the way, if you work in agile development method, this topic becomes even more important

Cheers,
    Shlomini
    Shlomi Nissim
    LoadRunner and Performance Center Functional Architect
    HP Software and Solutions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Get rid of all the functional bugs before you ask for a performance test! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good requirements go a long way as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

you can also remove junk from requests that are not needed for the app.

For example, asp.net viewstates are not always necessary but often turned on by default. this makes the app less efficient (larger request sizes), and also makes the performance scripts more complex as they have to parse and correlate more data for sending requests.

There are many examples of this where unnecessary form fields and headers are present in a request. This can make the app less easy to test against from a performance tooling perspective.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for all the replies; this is very helpful information, thanks to all.

I agree with Corey about viewstates, I have some issues with that variable in the past....

[ QUOTE ]
    remove junk from requests that are not needed for the app.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's a good advice, do you know other examples of that?

[ QUOTE ]
    Good requirements go a long way as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree! Always the work is more easy if you has Good requirements [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Shlomini, I agree with the first point, but the second point; can create problems in the application?

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Jose,

Regarding the second point I raised... it doesn't neccessarily has to involve in creating issues. for example, I am sure the application you test write logs, if the developers will add the right trace messages it will give you better visibility to what's going on.

Cheers,
    Shlomini
    Shlomi Nissim
    LoadRunner and Performance Center Functional Architect
    HP Software and Solutions