Thread: Quotium - QTest

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Quotium - QTest

Didn't want to hijack another thread, so quoting here...

Originally posted by Corey_G:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">More recently though I've been using QTest from Quotium, it's better for load testing web / web services systems. Actually the scripting is similar to OpenSTA (as previousley mentioned)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I have very negative feelings about Quotium and the way they essentially hijacked an open source project (OpenSTA) through some legal moves. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Corey - I'm just interested if you can give more info. on your feelings about Quotium.

I'm not arguing with you, but it looks like QTest is a fairly complete re-write of OpenSTA or new tool completely. I'm guessing that perhaps Quotium had something to do w/the breakup of Cryano?

Our company is actually evaluating tools and QTest came up. I'm interested to understand the company's roots.

Appreciate your input.

-Drazle
    A problem is a difference between what is perceived and what is desired, that
    we want to reduce
    (Dewey 1933)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Quotium - QTest

I'm not arguing with you, but it looks like QTest is a fairly complete re-write of OpenSTA or new tool completely. I'm guessing that perhaps Quotium had something to do w/the breakup of Cryano?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">here is the history as I know it:

OpenSTA was originally developed by Cyrano. It was released under the GNU GPL license. Cyrano ran into some financial troubles (not sure of the details) and sold off some "stuff" to Quotium. It was never clear if intellectual property (copyrights, etc) were sold. Well after the whole thing happened, Cyrano was revived and was also claiming IP rights to OpenSTA. Even if Quotium did purchase them, being an open source project, copyrights to contributed code are copyrighted by their authors.. so legally it would be impossible to sell those rights unless all contributed code was removed or every contributor agreed (which never happened). They also hired on some of the Cyrano developers.

OpenSTA remained an open source project with development going on at SourceForge. Quotium contributed further to the source but were not cooperating with the OpenSTA community (they were essentially doing solo development and just doing batch commits to the OpenSTA cvs tree at SourceForge).

After the 1.4 release of OpenSTA, Quotium decided to fork the project and continue development on their own. They sent an email to the OpenSTA dev mailing list explaining that they will release details at a future date (this was years ago and it never happened).

Quotium put out a product named QuotiumPro which essentially WAS OpenSTA with a few new features. Source code for the product was never released (which in my mind is completely illegal.. it is a clear violation of the GPL license, as it is certainly a derivative work and they do not own all copyrights of the original code base it was derived from, therefore any derivative work must be released as GPL as well)

I have no idea what QTest is and how it is related to OpenSTA (it uses SCL, so I assume much of it is based on the same code).

but that is a basic summary of my gripes with Quotium. I prefer to not touch products from a company that exploits open source development like that. I'm sure none of this matters much anymore, but I would have loved to see someone test them in court over a GPL violation.

-Corey
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Interesting. I guess it would be up to some interested party to put up the $$ for a lawsuit. I don't think FSF would do it on their own.

Thanks,
    -Drazle
    A problem is a difference between what is perceived and what is desired, that
    we want to reduce
    (Dewey 1933)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but seemed most appropriate.

I've not come across QTest before, but it is being suggested as a tool to use. I've used LoadRunner and OpenSTA.

I don't see it mentioned much here, since the above, so am a bit wary. Does anyone have good/bad experience?

Cheers