Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Load Testing of Collaborative Software

All,

I am new to this site, and I thank you in advance for any help. I am currently researching the methodologies of performance testing "Collaborative Software". Metrics would most likely deal with "How many simultaneous users can.....". In most cases, these sorts of software solutions contain many points for data collection, such as multimedia content,instant messaging, desktop sharing, etc. I have searched in many places for a methodology for testing software products such as these, and have found none. Does anyone have any experience in load/performance testing software of this type?

Thanks,
    M.G.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Load Testing of Collaborative Software

Hi M.G.,

Do you have any of the tools discussed here? If so, each has a "methodology" documented in the user documentation.

If not, check out these sites:

www.perftestplus.com
    www.performancetester.com
    www.perform-testing.com

It sounds like you have planted the seed necessary to get started, "Metrics would most likely deal with "How many simultaneous users can.....".

It is extremely important to identify the questions-to-be-answered about performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I guess I'm at a bit higher level than that right now. Im looking less at a specific tool, but to a methodology in testing this sort of system. In the past I have worked with applications that had a very "specific" scope, but I have not seen an ability to test an application that had so much "going on" at the same time. For example, if I needed to know how many people could attend a collaborative session and each of them were doing X, Y, and Z, I assume I would first have to express what sorts of "profiles" of people would be in the session and what they would be doing. The problem that I am having is more on the interactions, and even thinking about synching collaborative interactions in an automated test tool makes me cringe..... any thoughts???

M.G.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

yes, sounds like you have some "user modeling" or "workload modeling" to do. I find it best to create a limited set of user archetypes (or personas or profile or whatever term you want to give it).
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is this a new application? If so, can you get a hold of some web statistics regarding to the use of it? That will help you w/ the profiling of various workload/users. Also, I strongly suggest you to read up on the links that Jake suggested.

Stefan
    Thanks for your feedback.

BTTester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks everyone.
    I will read up on the links. If anything, this will be another good source of information to draw from. I still have to ask, have any of you tested an application of this type? I assume with the use of collaboration suites in industry that there would be more info on the web on testing these sorts of collaboration tools. So far, all my digging has resulted in nada.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have worked on the type of tests you speak of. A key to success is in Corey's suggestion. Another key is to anticipate that one can never model the real world perfectly. If it does happen that a test (for even just a moment) models real world, it is pure coincidence.

You can definitely get close.

[ 07-28-2006, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: JakeBrake ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Without knowing a lot of details about my System under test, I know it might be tough to answer this, but...... If you have worked on this type of test for these collaborative solutions, is there any one tool that is more suitable than another? I know I am working on a lot of fronts here, but you know how schedules are.....and testing is always "politely" shoved aside.

Thanks again,
    M.G.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've done this with LoadRunner along with some WinRunner and VBScript scripts. I've also done this with RobotVU scripts. I prefer LoadRunner. In many cases, one tool should be able to do all unless there are protocol complexity issues, defects, or licensing issues.