Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The declining importance of performance testing...WTF

As an example of a pervasive but utterly wrong opinion, read the following article:

The declining importance of performance testing should change your priorities by Robert L. Bogue

Even after he gets slammed by a few people (including myself), he still believes in this.

It is sad that people like that get a pedestal to speak from as there are many people out there who take anything that's published as the truth.

Anyway, take a look for yourself and do not hesitate to voice your opinion.
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: The declining importance of performance testing...WTF

I'm with you, Roland. I was especially amused by his response that the "true performance issues" that he has seen in the real world were all hardware related.

Funny, the very first "true performance issue" that I ever saw in the real world was a SQL select statement inside a loop executing 100,000 times instead of outside the loop. Guess he doesn't have the same applications that I do.

As you mentioned, but he entirely dismisses, are the issues of stability and tuning. Things very close to my heart, but evidently not to his.

As a real life example, in the health insurance industry in the US, we have what are called "prompt pay" laws. If we can't process a claim and pay it within x number of days, we have to pay a penalty and interest. This is a very old system (~ 30 years old) on a mainframe. Does he advocate just buying a faster mainframe to run the same old tired application on? That might work if the volume of claims wasn't increasing exponentially.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In my 30+ years of IT performance issues most often come down to coding and approach taken.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OMG...I thought I was reading The Onion there for a second when I read that article!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Roland! Kinda like Tom Cruise implying that he is an expert on pregnancy.

Great catch. I recommend putting a contraceptive on that article.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I read the article. Saw it was rated 5 out of 5. Decided to rate it 1 out of 5. Hit refresh, and now it is rated 2.8 out of 5.

Many of the software processes i regularly run, regression testing, profiling, linting, modelling, take between 2 hours and 2 days depending on the task and data. This is on fast dual processor workstations with gigs of memory and huge hard disk. Ten years ago, similar tasks on the systems i worked on then, were either faster or took about the same amount of time.

The attitude in this paper stinks, and IMO, is pretty widespread. How long from switch did it take you to get working in a wordprocessor in DOS or CP/M days? How long does it take now?

(Phew, rant over, back to my profiler)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Good idea to go back and rate it. I did as well. thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That article is the of the most misinformed pieces of writing I have ever heard of.

He is grossly misinformed on the nature of performance related issues. I have worked on dozens of projects that couldn't be saved by throwing all the hardware in the world at them. Testing/tuning/refactoring is a vital part of all projects. If you are deploying mission critical systems and overlook this, you are headed for guaranteed disaster.

He totally misses the point and then goes on to talk about petty arguments about performance impact of using stored procedures, and exception handling. Why would you take these fringe cases and base an article around them? Has he really seen someone avoid using exception handling to get performance gains? I never have... the whole thought of that is asinine.. which he knows, and used as an example here. He should have talked about systems being deployed to production that are absurdly misconfigured, un-tuned, and written using some stupidly inneficient code. Those are your main causes, and those will NEVER go away and must always be taken into consideration.

[ 03-01-2006, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Corey_G ]
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There is an opportunity for you to "Rate it". The current rating at the time of this post is 2.2 of 5.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Down to 2...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast