This is the first time I am posting here.I have to simulate 2 lakh virtual users over the http protocol.Project is on Java.
My question is that:->
1) Are there any Open source tools availiable that can do this effectively?
2) Is it really possible to do a load test with such a huge number??
3)If so what will be the harware required/If not what can be the alternative?
Help is needed ******ly......
1) Quite possibly. try a search here, or Google, or ...
2) Not sure from the context what 'huge number' you're talking about. It's always possible if you pony up the $$$
3) HW depends on how you plan your testing infrastructure: can be multiple desktops or a few larger servers
I'm not understanding 'Help is needd *******ly.....'. Please explain the **s
1)What do you mean by simulating 2 lakh users? is it in batches or is it simultaneous?
3) Hardware will depend on what you really want to load, I believe Unix/ Linux can be effectively used as VU generators rather than Windows.
I echo Roland's question, Why do you need to test so many users? Will they all be using the system at the same time? If so, you're going to spend $$$$$ to get a tool that can do this. If not, take a look at this article, http://www.perftestplus.com/articles/uenm4.pdf, especially pages 4-6.